Impreza Suspension help/ideas

KTurner

Over the winter break I installed some KYB GR-2's and WRX (don't know which year) springs in the fwd '93 Impreza RX beast. As a result I now have an understeering pig that has a little snap oversteer :-[.

Anyone got any ideas on how to bring this car back to neutral with easy smooth rotation?

My experience with other makes would tell me to keep the WRX springs (which I think are a good change) and reverse the front sway no rear sway bar setup to a no front bar w/ stock rear sway bar set up. This should improve turn in and induce oversteer.

A JDM swap is not a solution here.

akinaspeedstar

i don't know much about subaru FWD but in the saab which is a over powered understearing monster. my advice would be to get the larger rear sway. taking it out is more then likely the reason your understearing. the back end is just rolling instead of loading up the suspention. i replaced the stock tiny bar on mine with a 22mm solid bar and it made a world of difrence. so in my opinion i would leave the front bar. and at least put the stock one back on the back. the biger the bar the less the rear will roll and the more likely it will be to step out and give you a more nutral situation.

just my 2 cents

KTurner

i don't know much about subaru FWD but in the saab which is a over powered understearing monster.
I agree, and Saab's are what I know as well... I'm running no front stock rear in my SPG and looking to get an SAS rear and have an SAS rear bar in my NG900, I really like both setups. A rear bar only, or the addition of a rear bar is probly the way to go with the subie, just figured I'd run this by the subie crowd.

akinaspeedstar

i have a few things on my NG.(some for sale) i really like genuine saab for all my parts. nick is an awsome guy and they really take care of you.

and i would keep a bar in the front and go as big as you can in the rear. that should kick the ass end out.

KTurner

If I had a T5 or T7 car nick would be the first guy I would call, though I've had my eye on the steering rack brace he sells for a while. and I guess I bought some poly a-arm bushings from him that I really like. otherwise I am a eeuroparts guy.

KTurner

Update: Added some 2wd Legacy control arms and sway bar, 18mm. We'll see how it works. The arms are pretty beefy.

swaybar_pass.jpg

R

rallyXcramps

I think you'll like that 20mm rear bar. It will enhance/match the capabilities of the WRX springs.

Latest posts

Back