In-dash GPS, stereo, iPod, etc. options?

Ryan

First of all, I'm completely clueless when it comes to car stereos/speakers/gps etc. What I'm looking for is an in-dash GPS unit that also has the stereo, radio, iPod/mp3, CD/DVD (optional), USB, etc. options on it that will fit in my 02 WRX. What are some decent options that aren't crazy expensive?

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Luckily the impreza's use DIN stereos. Typical aftermarket stereos are single din and fit in one spot leaving the cubby. The nice thing about imprezas is there's room for two din spaces.

You'd be looking for a double din reciever and gps all in one head unit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/In-dash-GPS-Navigation.html?c=3&tp=20212&avf=N

Those are your choices on crutchfield. Do some poking around on there and see if there's anything that fits your features and budget. Honestly an aftermarket GPS and a good single DIN stereo is going to be the cheaper option, but the Pioneer AVIC series are gorgeous.

Crutchfield is a good place to price things out and do comparisons. Once I find something I like I check google shopping to make sure they aren't gouging me.

That should be enough to get you started. I'm sure others will chime in...

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
It will work fine. It will act like a regular stereo except the screen flips out. I don't have personal experience with that unit, but it looks like it's between a single and double din. The crutchfield wizard says it will fit a wrx, which I don't doubt. They send you the wiring harness and dash pocket to fill in the extra space.

Ryan

Well looking at the two Jensen models, the VM9414 is a single-din, whereas the VM9424 is a double-din. I don't want that weird gap so the double-din is the way to go right?

Also, Dan do you know how to install these things?
default_wink.png

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Just a heads up, Jensen is really kind of like buying wal mart brand. Not saying it won't work for you, but it is a lesser quality unit.

As far as installation, they aren't that hard to do. And if you do go with single DIN, the gap is filled by a cubby, doesn't really look bad at all.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Single din with a big screen means the screen folds out and kinda sits there. Where as double din sits flush with your dash and the screen doesn't move (unless you get a model where it moves to put a CD in). I don't like flip out single din screens.

Crutchfield has documentation to wire the harness into your car. It's pretty good. I'd be willing to help on a weeknight since I work near you in portland, but I'm not the best at wiring and provide no warranty expressed or implied. I'd just be looking at the directions and going from there.

Here are some examples...

This is a wrx with a single din stereo. The extra space is filled by a cubby pocket:

Z9QNu.jpg

This is a single din flip out GPS stereo. They are dumb:

PSN0I.jpg

I'm assuming you have the stock 6 disker. It is a double din, note how it fills the whole dash area:

3OyD4.jpg

Ryan

Thanks. I know that the Jensen models aren't the greatest, but the VM9424 has nothing but really good reviews (haven't found any negatives on it) It's decently priced and has exactly what I want/need.

WRB_Tank

Here is my double din in my Impreza. Its a Kenwood touchscreen and it does EVERYTHING. I don't have the GPS for it though.

headunit4-10.jpg

Latest posts

Back