Infrared Testing Volume 1 **Featuring PTP Turbo Blankets**

herocrank

This infrared test is to see how effective the PTP turbo blanket is at isolating the rest of the engine bay from the effects of the heat generated by the turbocharger. PTP makes a custom turbo blanket for the WRX.

www.ptpturboblankets.com

The test vehicle is a stage 2, 2011 WRX 5 door. The modifications to the vehicle that may impact the testing are, GRIMMSPEED turbo heat shield, SPT catback exhaust, COBB catted downpipe.

enginebaywrx.jpg

I let the car warm up and idled it for 20 min after operating temperature. The ambient temp outside was 72 F and the car was in the shade when I used the camera. The turbo itself was 348 F, the top of the grimmspeed heat shield was 136 F, and the top of the TMIC was 112 F.

turbo348f.jpg

heatshield136f.jpg

TMIC2.jpg

turbo348reg.jpg

Now after the installation of the PTP turbo blanket, I ran the car for the same amount of time. The differences in temperature are pretty dramatic. The turbo blanket was 105 F, the top of the Grimmspeed heat shield was 90 F, and the top middle of the TMIC was 83 F

BLANKET.jpg

TURBOHEAT.jpg

TMIC2-1.jpg

before -- after - difference

turbo-- 352 - 105 - 247

TMIC-- 112 - 83 - 29

heatshield-- 137 - 90 - 47

so the numbers just dont lie, this turbo blanket actually works as advertised, and I think the new numbers are fantastic. The turbo response between shifts is instant, and it delivers everything that PTP claims.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back