Injector #1 & #2 Issues

FALLEN1

Builder
Im a first time poster here on Mainely so please forgive me if im in the wrong section, use the wrong lingo, i would appreciate constructive input, not your a dumb---, or yousuck or what have you as it doesn't help me thank you very much. Here is the background on the car

i have a 2000 impreza coupe, on a Fozz 1.5" subframe lift 98 leggy outback rear subframe lift, Fozz struts 98 leggy outback triailering arm brackets with 2156516 Gen Grabbers blahblahblah (Its lifted), with the ej222 (188k) basic mods, UEL single Port Header, Randomtech Highflow cat midpipe, and a OBX Quietback, Home brew grounding kit (like +.012whp duh) and Hodgepodge intake made from 3" and 4" piping i had left over from my STi Build and AC delete, i recently slipped timing in my driveway conveniently, pulled it apart  brought both heads to a reputable machine shop had the damaged valves replaced as well as all the guides and all seals replaced, the heads tanked, bead blasted, and such had them resurfaced replaced headgaskets with  the proper Cometic .030" Gaskets. adjusted the valves, replaced Plugs with Brand New Laser Iridiums, Cleaned the shortblock, intake manifold fuel rails and accessories. i inspected the fuel lines and coolant pipes for rust addressed any potential trouble areas with epoxy paint, did the coolant bypass mod for the throttle body, Installed Grimmspeed 8mm Phenolic manifold spacers. Reassembled properly, took my painstaking time (OCD Style) according to subaru of america's Shop manual for the 2000 impreza, Installed Gates (TCK304WP) installed a New Southbend Stage 2 Daily Clutch, also according to the Shop manual, reassembled the rest of the engine and re-installed. a Task i have done dozens of times from in driveways to in the augusta shaws parking lot, not my first rodeo. 

Now the issue, I fire the car up (dark gauge cluster, absolutly no Tach no speedo, no indicator lights) hardly had to touch the key Brumbrumbrum!!!! just like it should. i burped the coolant system and waited for the fans to kick on once it made it to op temp, idle was spot on, then one cold start enrichment was done, idle went  up to about 1100-1400rpm steadily like wooombumbumbumwooombumbumbum it was consistent. also when i attempted revving the motor at the TB, it acts like when your in 5th gear, going about 30, and mash the pedal like bwooooooowwgh, no real increase in rpm, (this is with no load, in neutral) its just falls on its face, pings and misfires. the only way it will increase in rpm is when i very gingerly and slowly crack the throttle it hesitantly increses in rpm all the way to a premature 4500 redline, just trying to move the car around in the drive way it barely can move without stalling.  at idle behind the car it sounds like it has a set of BC 272 Cams. so i checked spark, strong in all 4, i checked all my connections o2, IACV, MAP, TPS, Injectors, grounds, cleaned and replaced all connections or grounds that might have been questionable, restarted the car no difference same goofy hunting idle, so i bust out the multi-meter... yay tested iacv tested good voltage, same with TPS, injector plugs all had 10+- volts like they should swapped coils with a known working coil, swapped over throttle body with known working TB no differences checked all fuses all checked out good, desperately i busted out my trusty poor mans auto stethoscope ( longass Flathead screwdriver) and pressed it against the injector #4 (consistent firing of the solenoid) injector #3 (also consistent firing of the solenoid) then on to injector #2 (tickticktickpausetickticktick) then onto injector #1 (tickticktickpausetickticktick) so i thought to myself heres my issue, so to be sure i unplugged #1, no change in screwy idle then #2 still no change, so she is only running on 2 cylinders. i have tried resetting the ecu, obd2 says consistently says the all too familiar, Rear O2 and emissions and no other codes  before i go pulling the fuel rails to replace my 2 front injectors i want to see if anyone here wants to chime in with something stupid i might have overlooked? i personally think it is an electrical/ecu/timing related issue not the fault of the injectors themselves due to the fact they are firing strong but constantly inconstant with the other rear 2 injectors? maybe some kind of safegaurd subaru has with a phantom code im not familiar with?? the 4500 redline should be a dead giveaway to me but the meaning of that escapes me.

Any intelligent constructive help/input would be greatly appreciated thank you, Kenton R Weigelt

BSTTuning.com

FALLEN1

Builder
i had replaced the knock sensor about 3 months ago but i will swap it out with a spare ive got laying around and get back to y'all thank you 

FALLEN1

Builder
turns out it was vehicle speed sensor, i got out the trusty romraider and monitored the live data which ruled out all my other suspicions, once i got my cluster working (bad fuse) i noticed i had no speedo. inspected the VSS and noticed it no longer properly engages with the trans.

Latest posts

Back