Injulen's 02 OBS

injulen

I picked this up recently because it was at a price that basically meant, why not? It has 200,000+ miles on it but I drove it from Waterville back to Palermo and it went pretty well. It bogged down in 2nd gear while revving hard but it ran well otherwise. 

Its pretty rough body-wise, lots of rust. I'm thinking I'll try and get a new sticker on it and drive it for the next year since we really need a second roadworthy vehicle. 

I'll update more as I do more to it. So far I've put it up on stands and looked it over. Starting my list of stuff to do first. If anyone has thoughts on what they see in the photos, feel free to shout em out. 

Full album link:
http://imgur.com/a/Aza4O

Or click a thumbnail for full-res.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah that makes mine look mint. I only have some surface rust in a few places. Looks like it's still good for a while after a little work though. I have I think 250k on mine. Still going strong!

injulen

I'm definitely going to need a new front subframe it seems. Who is Gabe? (I'm terrible with remembering people's names)

IBratmanI

Gabe is Subarude. And be careful with undercoat. If you don't thoroughly wash and remove any and all rust, it will just cause the rust to continue to grow underneath the undercoating. Use fluid film, or even get a garden sprayer, put used motor oil in it, and coat the bottom of the car with that a couple times a year. That will make all the difference.

Industry

Gabe is Subarude. And be careful with undercoat. If you don't thoroughly wash and remove any and all rust, it will just cause the rust to continue to grow underneath the undercoating. Use fluid film, or even get a garden sprayer, put used motor oil in it, and coat the bottom of the car with that a couple times a year. That will make all the difference.
conventional or synthetic? What about a blend? Viscosity?

injulen

Industry, the cheapest you can find of any type, I would imagine. My grandfather used to just dip a paintbrush in whatever used motor oil he had kicking around the garage and then spread it on his truck's frame rails. Oiled metal won't rust.

Industry

Lol can you tell I spend too much time on Legacygt.com?This wwould be hotly contested as to what is better. And NEVER use Mobil1.

injulen

Got a replacement front subframe and some side skirts from Gabe, thank you!! 

Sprayed down all the bolts with pb blaster and will definitely get that swapped over soon.

injulen

Since the exhaust fitment discussion was starting to clog up the other thread, moving it over here.

This exhaust won't fit cause in 2000 the legacy changed there whole rear susp which totally rework the way the exhaust is run in the rear
Mostly the exhaust that's on this car is in good shape except for at some point the previous owner removed the catalytic converter. I don't know exactly what it should look like stock and right now what I see is a cat that has been cut open and welded back shut and a piece of shiny new pipe clamped in where I suspect there was a mating flange before.

Any suggestions on how to cheaply rectify this issue? I was thinking of getting a used header and cat section and bolting it to the existing catback until I realized that the flange had been cut off. Now it seems I should replace just about all of it but I don't really want to do that since I'm only planning on keeping this car for one year. 

I have a complete exhaust on my 95 Legacy which is dual port heads and from what I remember of what I've read about online, the EJ25 exhaust will bolt on to the EJ22 with the dual port heads. Not sure if that applies only to similar model years and not this newer 2.5 SOHC though. And of course I doubt the complete exhaust will swap over and fit correctly so I'd need to start cutting and welding/clamping to make it work.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

All 2.5's have dual exhaust ports, so the legacy header and cat should fit just fine. As for the cat back, like I said you'll need pre 06 n/a impreza cat back.

I should add, as long as the 02 sensors locations are the same.

injulen

I'll have to pull both systems off and see if I could easily cut the flange from the legacy cat section to mate with the impreza cat back. If I can get away with not buying more parts for this that'd be nice.

Latest posts

Back