Injulen's Impreza!

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Heh thanks. I was gonna edit the post later when I wasn't on mobile.
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
just figured I'd help!

injulen

Finally, some wheels and tires that aren't way too big. Those forester sized tires actually worked great but now I can put my inner fender liners and rally armor flaps back on.

Last edited by a moderator:

injulen

I want to but my wife dailies this one and hates that idea. Maybe I'll convince her one of these days though.

injulen

Haha I wish. I actually mentioned it again today and I was met with such vehemence that I think I'll never convince her.

I even explained that it's not just any gold but a particular shade and when on a Scooby it represents a whole heritage. No go haha. She didn't like the idea of copper colored much better.

injulen

Hmm good idea. I'd like that better than plain old boring black and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't mind it too.

Visonik

1. Buy blaze orange plastidip and some gold paint.

2. Dip them orange.

3. When the wife sees it and hates it, just be like, "Oh, well the only paint I have to cover it with is this here gold...."

4. Paint the wheels gold.

injulen

I just arranged to have next week off from work so that I can tackle the rust on this car so as to pass inspection. And the other car too.

I need to get these wheels balanced and I was thinking I'd take the car to a garage for that and have them look it over to see what else it might need to pass.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good garage? I've heard cross road auto referenced on here a lot but I don't know if he has a balancing machine.

I'd love to find one that would let me get a look at the car while it's on the lift but I know that's a rarity nowadays with liability concerns.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Cross road would definitely be a good bet. He doesn't have a balancer right now, but would definitely let you look at the car on the lift, just have to set up a time with him. Give him a call. His name is Burleigh, number is 458-9066.

injulen

Got the wheels balanced this morning at tire warehouse in Augusta. They were priced fair and did a good job.

Its so nice to drive down the road smooth again.

I also threw a quick patch on some fender rust. Just the hole underneath to fix now and it should pass inspection.

injulen

Finally got around to replacing the fuel filter and spark plugs. The old plugs were gapped between 0.45 and 0.50. A bit much! 

I also swapped on the later style air intake with the torque box. The single pipe design from the older engines supposedly doesn't allow the same response in the low end that the later style does. I haven't noticed a huge difference so far but I like to think its helping xD

Next up is to re-install the inner fender liners and rally armor.

injulen

Whoops, I know its been too long since I've updated the journal when it slips to page 2. Let's see...

I patched up the last rust hole and had to also put on a new driver's side ball joint in order to pass inspection.

While I was in there I noticed that the metal ABS ring with teeth on it is actually missing a couple sections. That explains why the ABS is so damn sensitive when I don't have the fuse pulled.

I haven't had a chance to re-install the inner fender liners or rally armor yet but I'm hoping to do that very soon now that the snow and salt is on the ground.

Speaking of that, I'm running the 15" alloys with Winterforce studded snows again now. They are such great tires and the wheels are in great shape too, they didn't lose any air over the summer and even after driving on them for a week they are still right at the same pressure. I'm glad for that because the Yokohama tires I had on there for the summer were starting to lose a couple PSI each week. Had to check em too much for my liking.

My buddy Josh got me front and rear strut braces for my birthday, best present ever! I just got the fronts on but I'm holding off on the rear until I have more time to mess with the speaker mounts and plastic trim. I can definitely notice a difference just with the front installed, going around the rotaries in Augusta the outside front corner definitely doesn't dive as much as it used to. I also feel like it levels back out a little faster or at least more smoothly.

Another project I want to do soon is wiring up the Hella lights to not only be activated by the switch it has now but also for the signal power to the relay to be pulled from the high beams so they can only come on if the switch AND the high beams are on. That'll make for easier use of them as well as insure that I can't leave them on and kill the battery after shutting the car off.

Oh yeah and I had some fun with the front brakes. I realized that they were wearing at a steep angle and that there was barely any pad left on the thinnest part so I picked up a new set of pads and caliper pins with boots. I went to install them and the damn pins just would not come out. I tried a lot of different things and eventually snapped off a bolt inside the frozen pin and decided to try drilling the pins out. I cut off the head with an angle grinder and then drilled a pilot hole all the way down through. I hoped at this point I'd have weakened the pin enough or that breaking the vacuum behind it with the pilot hole and being able to pour in PB Blaster would have allowed me to pull the pin out. Nope! So I kept drilling and thought it was actually working out great until I saw daylight down in the hole. I was on the LAST drill bit size to finish it and my original pilot had a TINY angle to it so the drill bit poked out through the side of the bracket. DAMN those walls are pretty thin to begin with I guess.

So I pulled the front rotors and calipers off of the 02 OBS I have here and I'm running those while I rebuild the 02 WRX calipers and order new brackets. I'm also having the rotors machined while they are off.

And now I'll just post some glamour shots I've taken this summer, fall, and winter so far.

Edit: Ran out of time, typed too long. I'll add more photos later and just leave these ones from today for now:

http://imgur.com/a/gAluy

Latest posts

Back