Internet Help needed

Nate

Founding Father
Ok, So I lost my password for my wireless router, and while trying to retrieve it, I wiped it off the computer. Now I Can seem to get the dang thing to reset to factory setting. Can anyone help me? Right now Im sitting with my laptop down in my basement (where I keep my modem and wireless hooked up) plugged into my modem with a cord.

HELP!!!!! (I'm computer illiterate)

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Look on the back of the router. There should be a small button on it. That will factory reset the software on it. Then you go to the admin page and set up a new password. If you can't figure it out, I can take a trip over and fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

Founding Father
Yah, I have tried all kinds of times to reset to factory setting.... Not working.

Stein

Stein
what kind of router do you have?
^^^ Knowing the model helps, but without it, here are some things that come to mind:

Next time you play with the router, try holding that little reset button while unplugging-replugging the power cord.

and/or

Try holding the reset button for about 10 seconds, or until you see the router's LEDs doing funky things.

and/or

leave the damn thing unplugged for 12 hours to let all of the power dissipate, clearing the flash memory that holds your settings.

Nate

Founding Father
Im going to try and work on it again today.. I unplugged it last night, and its been off for a good 12 hours. Its a Netgear model WGR614 v6.

Ive tried multiple manual resets, but none of them seem to take. I'm in hopes that with the unplugging for a while that it will work.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Whenever I get a "mystery" router than I can't gain access too this is how I reset it. Unplug it, give it a sec for all power to drain. Then hold down the reset button (still off). While holding down the reset button plug it in (can be a little difficult...). Keep holding it down for 10 seconds or so, you should end up with a flashing power light, or something. Release it, the power button may stop flashing, may not, whatever. I don't know what router you have. But that should reset it back to factory settings.

So a username and password something like admin and password, whatever it is by default on your router.

You should be able to find it here. http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

Stein

Stein
Whenever I get a "mystery" router than I can't gain access too this is how I reset it. Unplug it, give it a sec for all power to drain. Then hold down the reset button (still off). While holding down the reset button plug it in (can be a little difficult...). Keep holding it down for 10 seconds or so, you should end up with a flashing power light, or something. Release it, the power button may stop flashing, may not, whatever. I don't know what router you have. But that should reset it back to factory settings.
Next time you play with the router, try holding that little reset button while unplugging-replugging the power cord.
Yep, that's a much better way of saying what I said. Definitely do this if you haven't already gotten it working Nate.

Latest posts

Back