Iphone 4 Info

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
Well as many of you know the iphone 4 is coming out on the 24th. Its going to be a bigger upgrade then ever before and if any of you are interested in getting one(including you Carter) you will want to preorder one on the 15th at my store preferably(brighton ave,portland). If you have any questions or if you want to know if your eligble for an upgrade please PM me.

Heres more info

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Some of the highlights....

The screen will be made from a custom matterial 30 times stronger then plastic.

The screen has the highest resolution the human eye can see. Twice what the current iphone has.

It will have two cameras. A 5mp with flash on the back and a vga for the front(video calling)

It records 720p HD video and allows you to fully edit with imovie mobile.

diabloadsit

Hey man of the subject here but I have a LG VUE and the screen is joshing up. I have only had it for about 4 months now. Can I get a replacement?

Also, If my wife just got her Iphone 3gs about 6 months ago. Can she upgrade to the new Iphone 4g? How much money?

Evan

i've been waiting for this because i've been waiting for them to double the memory (as they have every generation before), but the new ones have the same memory as the 3Gs'. not to mention they actually downgraded the memory that they're going to put in the 3Gs (to 8gb instead of 16/32gb). hopefully in another year or so they'll do an update (4s?) and make a ~60gb version so i can put all my music on it. the flash for the camera and better screen are cool, but i need memory.

Stein

Stein
Well as many of you know the iphone 4 is coming out on the 24th. Its going to be a bigger upgrade then ever before and if any of you are interested in getting one(including you Carter) you will want to preorder one on the 15th at my store preferably(brighton ave,portland). If you have any questions or if you want to know if your eligble for an upgrade please PM me.
Heres more info

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Some of the highlights....

The screen will be made from a custom matterial 30 times stronger then plastic.

The screen has the highest resolution the human eye can see. Twice what the current iphone has.

It will have two cameras. A 5mp with flash on the back and a vga for the front(video calling)

It records 720p HD video and allows you to fully edit with imovie mobile.
Note: I'm not a PC/Windows fanboi, but I don't fall into the hype machine that is apple.

How will the video conferencing work with things other than other iphone 4s? Will it be compatible with Skype and other video-chatting programs?

720p video is nice and all, but only if the hardware can back it up. The lens looks too small to do any good, and all phone companies (yes, including Apple) have a tendency to use a crap-tastic sensor as well. Nate, any comment on the actual quality of the videos during 720p playback?

"The highest resolution an eye can see" is sort of a loaded statement. The resolution doesn't look so great on the Retina display.

Things I actually kind of like: No more rounded back! Now the damn thing won't wobble on the table. The two cameras are nice, even if they stole the idea from Nintendo of all places. Screen resolution was a greatly-needed upgrade from the previous versions.

I still won't even consider an iPhone until Apple gives developers some slack and opens up the AppStore. Android is just such a nice platform for my geeky personality. Even Sprint's Palm Pre was essentially open-source, unfortunately they didn't market well enough and never gained a large user base. The touch screen on the Pre is amazing though.

Stein

Stein
i've been waiting for this because i've been waiting for them to double the memory (as they have every generation before), but the new ones have the same memory as the 3Gs'. not to mention they actually downgraded the memory that they're going to put in the 3Gs (to 8gb instead of 16/32gb). hopefully in another year or so they'll do an update (4s?) and make a ~60gb version so i can put all my music on it. the flash for the camera and better screen are cool, but i need memory.
A 64GB version is what you want. 64GB in base 10 "gigabytes" is 64*10^9 bytes. An actual "gigabyte" is 2^32, so if my methods are correct, it roughly converts to 59.3 "usable" gigabytes (in geek speak: 59.3 gibibytes).

64*10^9-64*2^32 sound like good math?

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
They downgraded the 3gs because people that are buying that model dont care and would rather have the lower price. Im kinda dissapointed that the memory wasnt increased on the new one but there is a small percentage of people at least from my experiance who acctually care. We hardly ever sell the 32GB's let alone a 64GB version and im sure it helped keep the cost down so they could add other cool stuff.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
Note: I'm not a PC/Windows fanboi, but I don't fall into the hype machine that is apple.
How will the video conferencing work with things other than other iphone 4s? Will it be compatible with Skype and other video-chatting programs?

720p video is nice and all, but only if the hardware can back it up. The lens looks too small to do any good, and all phone companies (yes, including Apple) have a tendency to use a crap-tastic sensor as well. Nate, any comment on the actual quality of the videos during 720p playback?

"The highest resolution an eye can see" is sort of a loaded statement. The resolution doesn't look so great on the Retina display.

Things I actually kind of like: No more rounded back! Now the damn thing won't wobble on the table. The two cameras are nice, even if they stole the idea from Nintendo of all places. Screen resolution was a greatly-needed upgrade from the previous versions.

I still won't even consider an iPhone until Apple gives developers some slack and opens up the AppStore. Android is just such a nice platform for my geeky personality. Even Sprint's Palm Pre was essentially open-source, unfortunately they didn't market well enough and never gained a large user base. The touch screen on the Pre is amazing though.
Well first off we started carrying the pre and the pixi so maybe that would be a better fit for you. Second you should probally check and make sure your parents dont mind having a data plan on there account.
default_cool.png
Just kidding. Most likely the video calling will only work iphone-iphone at first then it will probally become available on other apps later on. I can only specualte what those might be. The light sensor is going to be a huge improvement over what the 3gs has. The fact that my 3gs already records very clear video with its extremely small lens should mean there will be no problem getting HD video from the new phone.

The screen is going to be a very high resolution for the size screen it has, any way you cut it. Imo the current screen looks damn good and the new screen is going to be about double the pixels. Even though the app store abides by apples rules it still manages to have the most apps in the market and the highest quality as well. Most of the reason android market is gaining so quickly on the app store is simply because all the companies that has designed apps for the iphone are making copies in the android market as well.

Im not an apple fanboy but I am an iphone fanboy. How could I not be? Its paid for my house, cars and the rest of my life. Just like a toyota ask someone who has one what they think.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Videocalling is iPhone to iPhone ONLY (for now, skype and friends will probably get in eventually), and ONLY on WIFI. ATT does not have the network to support video calling and wont for who knows how long. Technically video calling should be supported by all iOS 4 devices, but who knows.

Screen res is a good improvement as is the other hardware stuff, updates the iPhone line to similar levels as competitors. It'll be another slick device that sells like hotcakes, as per usual.

diabloadsit

I hate Apple with a royal passion but I love the Iphone. What I might do is get the warranty done up on my phone. Get the new one in and sell it on ebay. Then take over my wifes 3GS and let her get the new iphone 4. I love her phone.

Evan

gizmodo on the camera sensor:

"The main camera

The new iPhone has a bigger sensor for the main camera. It's backlit and has bigger lenses too. Instead of having a higher resolution, however, the sensor maintains the same 5 megapixel count. They are bigger dots, however, so it has a higher ISO

Stein

Stein
gizmodo on the camera sensor:"The main camera

The new iPhone has a bigger sensor for the main camera. It's backlit and has bigger lenses too. Instead of having a higher resolution, however, the sensor maintains the same 5 megapixel count. They are bigger dots, however, so it has a higher ISO—or sensitivity to light. That means that you would be able to take better photos and video in low light conditions, and your pictures will look a lot better."

i'm glad to see that the sensor is bigger (but how much?) and the MP is the same for the sake of image quality. i'm sure they can pull 720 out of it and it will look decent.

what nintendo thing uses twin cameras? i think apple knows that more and more people like to take pics of themselves with their phones but they cant have a rotating screen or camera, so 2 is the solution.

i like the rounded back actually, i'm disappointed to see it go. in real world use it lets me know that the screen is turned in towards my leg when its in my pocket (so the screen is less likely to be cracked), and it makes it less visible and intrusive from outside my pocket. sharp corners mean that all my pants are going to have rub/wear marks where the corners of the phone are in my pocket.

and have you tried the touch screen on the iphone extensively? i've never tried the palm pre, but i cant imagine its really any better than the iphone.

and yeah, 64gb would be a double of the 32gb version but apple seems to go to round numbers after 32gb. usually its 8, 16, 32, 60, 80, 120gb etc.
The Nintendo DSi has the dual cameras, for the exact same chat functions as the iPhone 4 (but only on wifi networks, of course). Because of the nature of flash drives, there won't be any more even amounts. Its cheaper/same cost to make a 64gb flash drive than a 60gb one.

Evan

found this while i was on gizmodo:

A fancy screen, with a 326dpi resolution. Jobs said "there's a magic number around 300dpi, if you hold something about 10-12 inches away from your eye, it's the limit of the human retina to distinguish pixels."

kind of like how a 32" 1080p and a 720p hdtv look the same to someone with 20/20 vision from 10ft away.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
We will have some tommorow instock but of course they will be in high demand. We will be open at 7. It will be several months to be able to casualy walk in and buy one.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
Ryan the data plans have dropped significantly so you could get an iphone for as little as $55 a month.

Trevor we will be able to order phones tommorow after we run out.

Latest posts

Back