Is there"good" a subaru tuner in maine?

wzrd

I would like to take my car a bit further then the cobb stage 2 tune im running at this time....Getting ready to upgrade the turbo through the intercooler.Part of me says k.i.s.s and stay with the"cobb" ots maps which limits me to either a vf39 or 18g turbo and the STI intercooler[dont believe it requires new fuel pump or injectors] or buy this sweet little 16g ive found ,with a collection of other parts and find a tuner who can help put together a safe reliable package for me.........It would be cool to be able to find a local tuner who could do the work instead of me having to drive to mass or conn....my bigest concern is going past that point of no return [simple stg 2] and ending up with big problems and having to run to a tuner and replace parts on a regular basis....Any sugestions would be apreciated..

The goal is to have my rex around 300 whp,no lag,fast spooling low end torque.tuned conservativly for happy engine ware......wzrd/out

diabloadsit

One your stock turbo can take you to 300whp.

Two no there are no tuners in Maine atleast not ones with a dyno anyways. There are a few guys on her that tune with a Open source tuning software though.

Three if you get ahold of a 16g that is not much bigger than you have know.

Four you might have to up the injector size a little. Maybe some STI Pink injectors. I believe the early rexes only came with like 440cc or somewhre around that number the Pinks can be picked up pretty cheap and would be more than enough for your 300 whp number. Will put your up to 575 cc or so.

Not sure about a fuel pump. They are only about $85 bucks for a high flow and easy to install. Plus, you don't have to tune for the pump. So you might as well put it on.

Five a used STI tmic would run you about $150-$200. Not to bad for the extra cooling and easy drop in install.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
wzrd, you are verging on a large grey area here...the diffrence between a daily driver and a Daily Tuner. If you're OK launching yourself onto a slippery (and expensive) slope, then fine. Just be sure you are OK with the ripple effects here...300whp eats up axles and brakes and tires clutches gearboxes cooling systems etc etc $$$$$$$

diabloadsit

I have to agree with Nigel. The wrx's have prone gearbox issues. That is one be decideing factors you have to take when buying a wrx over an sti. If you are going to mod it then you are almost better off spending the extra money to get the bullet proof gearbox of the sti so you don't have to worry any driveline problems. You might be ok with 300 whp. Most of the post I have ever read on wrx poping trannies there numbers are usually around 340ish whp. Plus, most of them are not to smart and do clutch drops with the things.

wzrd

default_biggrin.png
wzrd, you are verging on a large grey area here...the diffrence between a daily driver and a Daily Tuner. If you're OK launching yourself onto a slippery (and expensive) slope, then fine. Just be sure you are OK with the ripple effects here...300whp eats up axles and brakes and tires clutches gearboxes cooling systems etc etc $$$$$$$
Replacing brakes and new rubber i can live with...other things f'ing up all the time i cant.....I dont mind spending the money once to do something right,but id hate ending up with a black hole of a money pit that's sitting in the garage[in conn/mass]all the time....Been there,done that,Got the ripped the tee shirt to prove it
default_tongue.png
.....Im happy with my brake set up,suspension and cobb stage 2 set up...was just hoping to find a SAFE way to get a bit earlier spool and more low end torque....I dont dump the clutch,or shift eraticly so im not to concerned with the tranny holding up to the way i drive.As stated im only looking to bump 300whp,just trying to tweak out a bit more then what i got.......
default_idk.gif
i dont know that's why im asking for i do something stupid and go to far.
default_confused.gif
wzrd/out

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
The only advice I can give you is follow subarus path and aim to get as close to a stg 2 sti as you can. Stick with as many oem parts as possible and take it very slowly. All the good tuners are in mass/ct but if you do it right should only require one trip down. I would recomend the usuall sti conversion. vf39/43, sti pinks, sti top mount, walbro 255, sti headers and uppipe and whatever you want for exhaust. that's a safe and powerful path that's problem free and easy to tune.

wzrd

doesn't my car [06 wrx] already have the same size fuel injectors as the 06 STI? Following the cobb ots map requirments,alls i need is the STI tmic and the vf39 turbo.[the new fuel pump make good sense too].....then reflash with thier 91 octane stage 3 map........Ive heard that makes for a safe ,reliable daily driver. Am i wrong to think that it will be that easy?

wzrd

The only advice I can give you is follow subarus path and aim to get as close to a stg 2 sti as you can. Stick with as many oem parts as possible and take it very slowly. All the good tuners are in mass/ct but if you do it right should only require one trip down. I would recomend the usuall sti conversion. vf39/43, sti pinks, sti top mount, walbro 255, sti headers and uppipe and whatever you want for exhaust. that's a safe and powerful path that's problem free and easy to tune.
What do you think of the stock turbo intake/inlet hose vs aftermarket ie: samco[expensive] perrin,gimmick.....??

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
The ots maps for the wrx are great I would highly recomend them if you already have an accessport. You dont need injectors if you have an 06 but the fuel pump is still a great idea.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
What do you think of the stock turbo intake/inlet hose vs aftermarket ie: samco[expensive] perrin,gimmick.....??
Not worth it for your power level imo. Those were always one of the biggest problem areas for me that and fmic piping.

wzrd

Not worth it for your power level imo. Those were always one of the biggest problem areas for me that and fmic piping.
The problem is,when i upgrade to the STI tmic i will have to upgrade from the oem rex to the oem STI turbo inlet hose which cost is over 300 bucks .For the same money or less i get get an aftermaket brand ie;samco/perrin in silicon material[vs aps ss]that "appears" to be lots less restrictive and better designed then stock....

here is another stupid ? With my stage 2 set up,if i add just the STI tmic along with a samco turbo intake hose will that negitivly affect my ots tune??

Damm it jim Im a farmer not a mechanic......wzrd/out

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
The problem is,when i upgrade to the STI tmic i will have to upgrade from the oem rex to the oem STI turbo inlet hose which cost is over 300 bucks .For the same money or less i get get an aftermaket brand ie;samco/perrin in silicon material[vs aps ss]that "appears" to be lots less restrictive and better designed then stock....

here is another stupid ? With my stage 2 set up,if i add just the STI tmic along with a samco turbo intake hose will that negitivly affect my ots tune??

Damm it jim Im a farmer not a mechanic......wzrd/out
so many questions, so little $$$ to address them all....lol, I rest my case.
default_biggrin.png

hell, you can collect all the speeding tickets you want with car the way it is right now today.
default_additional_spin.gif
don't waste yer $$ on out of state/foreign made products, keep the money right here in Maine by supporting your local constabulary

diabloadsit

You should be ok with the STI TMIC and the hose. I called and talked to Cobb about this when I upgraded my sti tmic to a aftermarket one(before I went to the FMIC) seeing if it would mess my cobb stage 2 up. They said it would be fine but you just want see a huge diffrence in power just because its not tuned for it.

But regardless you should be fine with the upgrade if you wanted to go that route without haveing to run another tune.

wzrd

..My downfall is not learning how to work on these cars earlier with all my motor head friends ...While the tools i have can build me a home or provide our food, they dont cross over into automotives well...tho i have taken a hammer and sawzall to an engine in the past it isn't recomended....yes- the reasearch involved in upgrading our cars is Maddening at times..........it can also bump the line of compulsion, reminding me how one can get hooked on the high of buying parts and the "its never enough" therory just like coke in the 80ies[for all whom were there]......My thought is this,I quit smokeing at 40 and instead of saving for a vacation every year ,i save my pennies so i can upgrade and maintain my car.Everthing else goes into the wife kids grandchildren and dogs at our mini farm.....I used to play hard, but with a neck/back chronic injury's, there's not much i can do for "fun" besides jumping in my ride and getting that rush/thrill of playing on the back roads of maine for the hour or 2 before my arms go knumb and i got to take her back home....guys gotta have a hobby...

wzrd

You should be ok with the STI TMIC and the hose. I called and talked to Cobb about this when I upgraded my sti tmic to a aftermarket one(before I went to the FMIC) seeing if it would mess my cobb stage 2 up. They said it would be fine but you just want see a huge diffrence in power just because its not tuned for it. But regardless you should be fine with the upgrade if you wanted to go that route without haveing to run another tune.
thanks for your help

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Why do you need a different inlet hose with the STi intercooler?? The inlet should stay the same. The intercooler elbow will need to be changed from the turbo to the I/C, but if you upgrade to the VF turbo, this will not need to be done. If you went with a VF39 or VF43 turbo, and the STi I/C, along with a Walbro fuel pump, you should still have a great DD, and be able to get close to your power goal, especially if you eventually get it protuned.

jackfortune

Shamar Stephens (infamous1) over on LGT board is a super tuner....check him out. He did my LGT last fall, and produced a super tune for my vehicle (06 LGT). A lot of stuff gets thrown onto LGT's....but a basic setup is the safest. For instance, I'm running an AVO tmic, Perrin catless downpipe, Grimmspeed catless uppipe with EGT delete, SPT intake and exhaust, stock fueling...stock VF40...and this is enough with the enhanced tune to give me everything I want and potentially a lot of trouble from the constabulary. The tune boosts the VF40 up to its full potential without overrunning the injectors. Lots of passing torque...95 in third very quickly. The tune was about $150....starting with a base map and multiple iterations for optimization...Tactrix 2.0 cable....RomRaider....EcuFlash....and Learning View. Fortunately I have a nearby road to pull third gear runs on (third gear 2000-redline runs are used to collect data sets for the tuning iterations)

Latest posts

Back