is this normal?

i-wagon

My timing belt was just done 7k ago, when I was tearing down to get ready for valve adjustment I the am, saw my timing belt had this wear line

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
It could be normal as the belt breaks in.  I'd take off the rest of the covers and look for rubbing.  Check the crank cog shield and make sure it is between .5mm min and 1.5mm max from the belt.  Looks like the little shield/guide over the crank cog is rubbin' on it, or one of the cover guards (if it has them) is.  Not cool if so.

Also check torque on the idler and tensioner fasteners.

JoshP

I wouldnt say its normal,but I do see belts look like that all the time.  The teeth side is great im sure.  My belt looks just like that

i-wagon

That's what it was. Fixed that, valves were in spec, cleaned sludge from coolant expansion tank. Fun morning except that I killed my waterproof phone with just a splash of water...stupid phone

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Nice job! If those guards rub on the belt hard enough, they can create lots of heat in the belt, which can cause premature belt or bearing failure in an idler.

The reason you see that all the time josh, is because folks don't adjust them properly. Jake and I were just talking about this the other day. That guard doesn't look adjustable, but it is. Common mistake by folks that don't do many scoob belts.

JoshP

Theres a spec for the belt guard, I believe its about .025  -  .05  I would have to look in the FSM.. but you use a feeler gauge to set it.. I actually use my 2 biggest gauges together.. I really think max looseness is fine though. 

Woops didnt read your post first Ryan but yeah you got the point.  I never put 2 and 2 together, but it makes sense. 

Latest posts

Back