JoshP's Dirt Drive recap

JoshP

Post ended up being really long sorry!

\/\/\//\\/\//\\//\\/\/\/\//\/\\//\/\\/\/\//\\/\//\\//\\/\//\/\\/\/\/

Everything started off pretty good, I was surprised that I couldn't keep up with people ahead of me.. but it was nice to be spread out to cut down on dust and I wasnt holding anyone up.  I couldn't find a good rhythm with the new car, and the constant light level changes and glaring dashboard were annoying me lol..  I learned pretty quickly the left side isn't so easy.. Ive been navigating for so long I figured I could just jump in and be up to speed right away.. but no

Made it to the first regroup no problem, Very nice view and beautiful day, and we headed out from there.  The guy in the silver RS asked to jump in front of me, (sorry nobody told me who they were except kam..)  so maybe I was holding him up a bit but that's ok.. 

We missed a left hander downhill, (new navi), and we turned it around pretty quick and passed by 07hawkeye I believe?  Also going the wrong way lol.. extra careful going against rally traffic, make the right turn in front of the green outback and hit the gas. 

A few more miles down the road and the brake light comes on.. hmmmmm.. Maybe i boiled it?  I have been riding them a lot i think to myself,  they get worse and worse as we go, "how far to the regroup? " - 2.3 miles .. Ok we'll press on.  realizing now they aren't overheating, but we have a leak.  So I used the handbrake mostly out to the main road.  Once we get on the main road, I test the brakes on the pavement and we pretty much have nothing.. coast into the regroup and pop the hod. 

0 fluid in the res.. fluid everywhere on the pass side damn!  Thankfully everyone sprang into action, 05skid had a jack and Chris had tools SO, we figure out which wheel it is and (mostly chris) pinch that line off..  we manage to bleed all the air out also, and it holds pressure well so we're good!  On 3 brakes but okay.. We decide to rally on of course. 

now it gets interesting...

So going easy on the car, still getting comfortable with pinched off brake line.. very rough road tho so its difficult.  @ 6.8 miles in we hear a pop and a few sounds later a crash.. cabin fills with dust.. take a look back and see the strut sticking up by the roof...... immediate dreadful sinking feeling....

immediately realized the car is likely trashed.

Thankfully chris was still with us... and had a chainsaw.. (true story)

so to make a long story short, we were able to jack the car and find a nice sized log to fit in there.. just trying to make it back out to the main road to call AAA.  Took forever going 10mph on ROUGH road.  Anyway we make it out to the road, and try it on the road.. hmm goes nice down the road!  Drives straight and what not.  The tire is rubbing on the unibody, not sure how long it will hold but we try it anyway.  At this point we're 40+ miles east of bangor!  and I live south of portland!  ugh.. Anyway very interesting ride home, but im able to drop my navi off and make it home driving on the log.  Total about 200 miles.. Highly unrecommended but whatever. 

I would take more pics to show you guys, but honestly im a bit in shock still from the whole thing.  Just bought the car 3 weeks ago (didnt inspect it well enough obviously).  Swapped in the new motor,, then this. 

I already sourced a new car, its a 99 GC with bad auto trans, from a buddy who owes me.. Not totally decided, but thinking of swapping stuff over to that car.  (but i hate 3.90s)  Ill likely part the car and take everything to Mike (hes the best)

Anyway that's about it!  Crazy day ..

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Please take more pictures oh my god I can't get enough of this.

I was sitting at 5 guys and opened up the pics on my phone and completely was like uh what and started giggling. This is legendary stuff right here.

Most amazing redneck fix I have ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

toddcinpittston

slow hooning
The minstrel will sing of this event for generations, or more likely, will be retold with ever growing bombast whenever two or three of us gathers for beers

GClark

I thought it was hilarious that we were just talking about some guy on NES that did the exact same thing when you were getting your brakes fixed. I'm sure you don't, sucks.  that's a big fix, if not a death sentence.  Insane you got home with that, 

Latest posts

Back