Just pulled my turbo and found that the turbo might have been going. PICS!

diabloadsit

Nate what do you think if my oil scrapper rings went bad but the top rings are good? That would mean the engine would give a good compression check but would not scrap the oil from the cylinder and then it would burn off in exhaust.

What you think?

woodys77

Done that. She is 100% clean. It is sitting on the garage floor as we speak waiting for turbo to come back. So that is another indication that the car is not blowing by that much oil. Blouch said what I found in the turbo was normal for the age of the turbo and also is normal "good" blow by amount for not having a AOS.
<------ scratches head

Nate

Founding Father
Maybe. I just don't think doing a compression test will give you any amazing results. I think you can show good compression numbers, still have bad ring lands, and large amounts of blow by.

diabloadsit

way could my car not just be like all the other sti's and when everyone else had a bad ring problem it was easy to see and knew 100% without a doubt it wat the problem.

Like STINate. His car gave up the ghost when driving to get it checked out at M&A. I guess I should feel lucky. If its just a simple oil ring then a little rehone and no boreing has to be done. So I can just drop in some 99.5 mm pistons and be set.

Maybe I can get away with out haveing to rebuild the heads. Just have them inspect and redeck them. That would save me about $500 right there.

diabloadsit

More like keep my forged crank and rods then buy CP 99.5 std bore pistons. So I don't have to worry about this again.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
Maybe. I just don't think doing a compression test will give you any amazing results. I think you can show good compression numbers, still have bad ring lands, and large amounts of blow by.
ive seen this time and time again. compression test wont tell you condition of the rings. i had a engine that burned a quart every 50 miles and had good compression numbers.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
ive seen this time and time again. compression test wont tell you condition of the rings. i had a engine that burned a quart every 50 miles and had good compression numbers.
i agree 100%. a leakdown test is really the way to go here.... sometimes that won't even give you conclusive enough results.

diabloadsit

Like I said soon as I get time and the car back togeather she is taking a trip down to M&A see what they can find out. See what the problem is then order part instead of buying parts then taking it to them.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
Yea leakdown and drop in cp pistons if it comes back bad. They can check your heads out when they are off the car.

diabloadsit

Yea I hope I can not have to do any head work and just the cp pistons, arp head bolt, sti seal kit, new clutch, oil pump, water pump and timing belt components, and also some kartboy stiffer bushings for the shifter.

Plus, while they are in there get them to replace the reverse light switch that is on top of tranny and also all the bolts and studs that connect my tranny to the motor.

MAauto101

Vendor
Woody is right on the oil rings. The last motor we tore apart the top rings were great. which was y it had great compression still but major oil loss. when we removed the piston the ringland between oil ring was gone. but top ring was great. and the spot that was gone had filled up with gunked oil and carbon. we shall see soon enough.

diabloadsit

lol, I have been hearing you man. I just don't want to admit it that's all. I must keep the dream alive.

So they shipped the turbo out Monday. I am in ATL right now in airport coming back from Austria. So I have a beer/ice fishing thing going on this weekend. Hopefully Sunday I can get the turbo back on once I am back.

I hope in next couple of weeks I can make an appointment at M&A and see if they can do something for me.

Ahren what I might have you do is see what you can find on the car. Then order parts from there. I just don't want to order things I don't need. If we can get away with out doing head work that would be awsome. Or maybe when you mess with the car and find its something else that would be cool, abit unlikely.

Latest posts

Back