Leak around camshaft support

I replaced the valve cover seals a year or so ago which cut my oil consumption down a lot. I have recently found a new leak which I believe could be from the car sitting for two months. On the aft end of each cam there is the support which has an o-ring inside. Is it common for these to leak? Do I have to replace more then just the o-ring?

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
I am guessing from sitting may have shrunk. Is that an oring or a cap? In the back? If its not bad would drive. Not familiar with your particular setup, maybe remove and replace said oring or apply small amount of silicon if leak is that bad.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g10/type_79/engine/camshaft_and_timing_belt/illustration_1/

The part that is leaking is #2. I found a few threads about the plug on the drivers side leaking and that being a huge pain to replace but found nothing about the passenger side. The leak is around 1/2 quart every 4000 miles. If it is easily fixed then I will be happy. If not and it doesn't start puking oil or fail me for my inspection then I will just drive it until I'm done with school and have enough money to buy a new car. Really just need 1 more year out of it.

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
If its the #2 in picture, (support) looks like two bolts then change #5 oring (I bet o ring cracked or shrunk). I would say if its visible externally on back of head doesn't appear too bad unless somethings mounted over it or limiting access.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I've had those off before. IIRC it's just a simple o-ring.

It was a generic size, I just pulled one out of the o-ring index at work and replaced it.

I've had those off before. IIRC it's just a simple o-ring.

It was a generic size, I just pulled one out of the o-ring index at work and replaced it.
Just being an o-ring is simple but it looks like I have part of my EGR system in the way.
default_additional_twak.gif
< is a ej18

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Just being an o-ring is simple but it looks like I have part of my EGR system in the way.
default_additional_twak.gif
< is a ej18
Oh, didn't realize that had EGR crap in the way. It sounds like you need to remove some EGR stuff to get to the cover.

I've only ever done it with the heads off the engine. So I forgot there might be stuff in the way when it's in the car...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back