Lil' Baby Heat Shield... should I replace?

mikebike357

A loose heat shield has been driving me nuts for quite some time. After removing the squeeking brake pads this evening, the Forester was up in the air so I took another crack at finding the loose bugger. Turns out, it's the lil' baby shield that covers the junction of the header to the cat pipe. It had rusted/sheared off on one side... beyond repair. Do I need to replace this lil' bugger? It's literally no bigger than the palm of my hand.

Evan

you might want to try clamping it down to the exhaust with a hose clamp. the cat gets real damn hot and should probably be covered.

ReZPunK

not unless you like roasting marshmallows on an open fire. ;D

car fires can happen, but usually i just gets real hot on the floor.

i would find a way to replace it.

mikebike357

I wonder if it was there for more of a "protection" piece vs. a heat shield. I think it broke loose while off roading.... there were some scrapes on it...

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I'm with Pedro. The lower covers are for when some moron parts in long dry grass and idles it for like 30min.

Runnah

See whats around it. If there is anything meltable nearby, leave it on. If not, consider it a diet for your car.

mikebike357

Well, i ripped the lil' farker off... i checked with a suby parts guy and he said that there's a lower and upper... Hmm... I didn't see any upper... plus something is still rattling a little... I need to get back under and look to see what's shakin.

mikebike357

I've had it... It's still rattling. Appointment time at Patriot and burn up some Subaru Bucks. Who it from STM that works there in the tech area?

jeffcrider

i had the same problem with the shields on the headers...

i went under there with a metal grinder and cut off every shield under there.... well i think i left the second cat shield on, it was still pretty sturdy.

I've driven over 10,000 miles like this and had NO MORE ANNOYING PAIN IN THE REAR RATTLING!!!!

i was sooo sick of that dang rattle...

jeffcrider

i had the same problem with the shields on the headers...

i went under there with a metal grinder and cut off every shield under there.... well i think i left the second cat shield on, it was still pretty sturdy.

I've driven over 10,000 miles like this and had NO MORE ANNOYING PAIN IN THE REAR RATTLING!!!!

i was sooo sick of that dang rattle...

Mighty Subie

yeah heat shields can be so annoying when they rust/break/bend or just decide to be a pain in the ass and not stay tight!

Mighty Subie

yeah heat shields can be so annoying when they rust/break/bend or just decide to be a pain in the ass and not stay tight!

Latest posts

Back