Looking for a Shop to replace Oil Pickup

07NAHWKI

Hey guys I'm new to this forum, long time user of NASIOC, but since im currently living in bangor I figured I would post here. So I believe that my oil pickup has started to fail, when I come to idle at a stop light my oil pressure slowly drops to 0psi. I going to change the oil today since I need and see if that helps at all since a buddy of mine said it might be a block oil filter, which I don't believe 100 percent.

So after that story the question I'm asking if there is any shop around the Bangor, Orono area that the people of this forum trust with there subaru's.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I wouldn't drive it like that. 0 oil pressure is BAD! I had a block seize because of that.

If it is a cracked pickup, it's going to get worse. And ultimately ruin your engine and strand you.

How do you know what your oil pressure is? aftermarket gauge? It should be well over 10psi idling warm.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
another question: did you bottom out or smack something w/oil pan...is there evidence of an impact that might have damaged pickup

Matt

There we're a bunch of Sti that were experiencing engine failure due to the pickup breaking at the weld. I would suggest a Subaru dealer. It'll be more expensive but you'll know it was done right unless you're down near Portland some time, go see Mikey.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
He says he's in Bangor, probably not a good idea to drive a car with low oil pressure all the way to Standish...

Ryan

The OEM WRX/STI oil pickups are absolute junk. There have been many reported failed OEM pickups.

But you have bigger problems now. If your oil pressure has dipped below ~6psi, chances are your motor is already in extremely rough shape or dead. I would NOT drive it or even turn the car on at this point. Checking the oil pickup is fairly easy, just unscrew the oil pan and peel it off and the pickup will be right there. Check for cracks along the welds on the flange. You might as well inspect the oil and check for metal inside the oil pan if you take it off.

Good luck.

07NAHWKI

So I'm gonna try and answer all the question posted, I know my oil pressure because I am running a Prosport Oil Pressure Gauge with the sending unit in the front galley plug(the one under/behind the alternator). I didn't get around to changing the oil today not gonna happen until wednesday, at which point I will check the pan for an damage from bottoming out. Which as far as I know there should be any.

From what I can tell the car use maybe 1/2 quart of oil between changes. I am currently running Rotella 5w-40, I don't feel like it is the oil pump since I have a fairly normal cold start pressure of 80-100psi depending on the outside temperature. When cruizing on the highway I'm running between 60-70psi. Only when the engine comes down to an idle the pressure will drop to about 15psi and then slowly fall to 0psi. When the engine is revved the gauge responds quickly to the increase in RPMs. So from this I feel like it is not the gauge or sender unit.

Thank you for the reponses.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Regardless, until you figure out why, I wouldn't drive it.

It could be a wiring problem for all you know, but it could also be something more serious.

I'd plug a manual gauge in and see what happens. But I'd be afraid of cooking the engine running it the way it is now.

07NAHWKI

Yea she is currently sitting in the driveway of my apartment, until I can atleast get new oil in/see if the pan is damaged. Can I get a manual gauge from any place local?

SUBARUDE

The reason I go towards the gauge is because your pressure is all over the place and cheap gauges are known to do some crazy sh..

07NAHWKI

from what I've seen over on nasioc my pressures seem to be about par with everybody else, I forgot to add that those are warm pressures, except the cold start one. But I will definitely check the functionality of the gauge before diving into replacing the oil pickup. What gauges do people recommend as reputable companies, cause I have heard some bad things about prosport so if I'm gonna get a new I wanna do it right this time.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Prosports remote kit is great, but the gauge sucks. I have mine plugged into the rear galley plug (easy on a non-turbo car).

Pulling the pan and replacing the pickup isn't to bad of a job, but I did it with the motor out....

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Doing it with the motor in the car kinda blows. The back pan bolts will have you swearing for the next few days.

Mighty Subie

It's not bad if you use a 1/4 drive with extensions and a swivel on the socket. I have done it in car. Just dont forget to lift up on the engine or else you will never get it out.

Latest posts

Back