Looking for old steel/chromoly bikes (Portland area)

mikebike357

I'm looking for some old bikes that I can hack up to practice brazing. Looking for steel or chromoly tubing. If anyone would like to donate something I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Have a crashed 1976 Colnago, can't bring myself to give it up tho! Also a 1960s Raleigh 3-spd "Grampa bike" it's not crashed and in purty good shape.

Mighty Subie

Pedro has a couple bikes. Next time I'm visiting, I might see if they fit in my car! :p lol (he probably won't let me visit now! Lol I will see if I have anything.

GClark

I have an old moped
default_confused.gif

mikebike357

I'm not looking for anything of any value as I'm going to cut it up. I totally forgot about the dump. I rarely go (hence the stack of used oil containers in my garage) so I always forget it's there.

Nice moped GClark! Does the pine tree air freshener help keep it fresh?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
If you can't find anything I can chat with my parents in Buxton. I always remember seeing bikes there.

SurlyOBS

+1 for the dump, or you could just practice on some thin wall raw stock tubing. Then you don't have to strip the paint, you can just miter the joints and braze away. I'm assuming that you are fillet brazing. What kind of bike are you going to build (eventually) once you get your practicing done?

mikebike357

Stripping the paint would be a project in itself but it would be a good way to practice miters too. There was a post on craigslist today for some old bike frames. I responded. If I can just grab one I'd be happy as it would most likely be enough for practice. Any suggestions on where to get raw tubing? I haven't check Maine Hardware yet. No tubing at the Depot or Lowes.

First off, I just want to successfully build a frame. 700c with enough clearance for a cyclocross tire. Starting off with a silver brazed lugged frame. A bit more forgiving. Then we'll see where it goes from there. I just want to give it a whirl as framebuilding is something that I've wanted to do for a LONG time.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
onlinemetals.com is fine for short lengths. But if you are trying a frame, get some stuff that will hold up better from the bike builders supply places. I found a few links on Sheldon Browns website a while back.

mikebike357

I know where to buy tubes to build a bike... I just don't want to pony up the big $$ to practice. I'll check out onlinemetals.com. Gonna get a bike to chop up. We'll see how that goes. May just need to use that to practice mitering.

mikebike357

I scored 3 frames from the Craigslist dude. Crazy collection of old bikes. I kinda hate to hack them up but it's all for progress, right?

Mighty Subie

Would you honestly ever build them into something? Probably not. Cut them up and enjoy. Just learn something from it. I have been told its pretty well just like soldering.

SurlyOBS

Check out rivendell bikes because Grant Peterson is into all things lugged and sells old stock Henry James lugs for cheap to use for things besides bikes. I made one into a sweet Christmas ornament. Good for practice!

Cool that you have some frames to cut up. I've been meaning to call Nova tubing because I think they have a place in Scarborough...you could try McMastercarr or whatever that online place is called.

Latest posts

Back