lost my keys....

gearsoup

So, I lost my car keys. More accurately; I lost them in the snow. I've looked and looked, and no dice...

So, what do I need to do? The locks on the doors are OEM. However, the steering column has been replaced, because the original owner was in an accident. Is it possible to change out the cylinder, or do you need special tools?

This prolly should be in the bitch and moan section....

Backstory: Had an apple core in one hand. "Thought" I had my keys in another. I had gloves on, so I couldn't tell teh difference. Core went flying into the woods. Apparently, so did the keys... yes, it's funny. I am laughing. No really, I am.
default_wink.png
default_redface.gif
:eek:

katnip

the car is black. I swear
that sucks,

but I still can't stop laughing, mainly because I can see me doing that :
default_wink.png

sorry!!!!!!!!!!

Rightseat

EJ--

a key-keeper carabiner is like $3 at autozone or 459 other places.

cheap insurance. keys out of lock, immediately clip to belt loop or your purse strap. :-*

with the VIN, can't you get new keys cut at evergreen?

yes, the steering column lock job goes in Bitch N Moan.
default_wink.png
It's not the special tools, it's more removing umpteen unseen fasteners to get at the dang thang.

gearsoup

With the VIN, I can get new keys cut. But, that only helps me out with the doors..

The original owner was in an accident, they ended up replacing the steering column. So, I have a different key for ignition...

Rightseat

metal detector is a good idea

or you could go the archaeological route....make up a screen to sift the snow thru but will seine out the keys. zero in on where you think you lost em, then start shoveling.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
let me check and see if I still have my metal detector.. it was a crappy one... but I bet you could find the keys with it

inski

You might be able to pull the ignition cylinder then get the cylinder matched with tumbles according to the VIN, if your car is still in the system. I used to re-tumble ign. and door cylinders all the time at Saturn, but at Patriot they consider it Black Magic and only the service manager "re-keys" cylinders.

Otherwise, if it was my car I'd pull all the tumblers out except the first and last one and shave yourself a key that makes it work, or shave(file) tumbles to fit whatever key/screwdriver you stuff in there. If you have the correct door key and you always lock your doors its unlikely someone will get in and swipe your car.

I dont have a clue how to get a subaru ign. cylinder out, but I could help with the tumbers once you do get it out. I'm sure you'll see how it all works once you get it out...and wonder why more cars aren't stolen.
default_redface.gif

Latest posts

Back