lowering my OBXT need advice

drunkinmonk

I'm going for better handling and also like the lowered look. I originally was looking for a lg gt wagon 5mt but that was to difficult to find. This is my DD and I plan to do some autocrossing. As of now I've done one event with the stock set up and had a blast. I beat my friends one was in a 2012 wrx hatchback stock and the other was in a last gen eclipse spyder lowered. Keep in mind this was our first autocross ever so with more seat time I'm sure they will beat me if I don't upgrade my suspension. I'm not trying to go hardcore into autocrossing but I still want to be able to have fun and be competitive with my friends cars.

I have a $1000 budget.

Option 1: I purchased a set of used struts/springs from a legacy 100k miles on them for $50 + $60 shipping. Already paid not part of the $1000 budget.I was going to purchase koni inserts $600 and use the legacy springs. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'd have to pay a local club member to do this for me. That's one negative to this is that it's just not plug and play. However if the handlings is better then the next set up it maybe with it.

OPTION 2: there's a group buy on kyb struts and epic springs at infamous for 585 shipped. That's plug and play and will give me a 1" drop Lower then option 1. It maybe the easiest install but may not be the best setup for autocrossing. This would leave me with my legacy struts and springs useless to me and need to sell them.

Option 3. Get kyb for $285 and throw the legacy spring on them.Purchase sway bars.

Option 4. Use the legacy struts get the koni inserts $600 and use the outback or legacy springs.

I also want a tune and this will be a definite cost associated regardless of which option I go with for suspension, so that will be 150 for the wire to connect to my laptop and 150 for the tune. $300 total.

Depending on which option I choose I may have money left over for sway bars so is it best to go with option 3? Decent struts and springs with sway better than koni without sway?Anyone running any of these suspension options or had experience with them that can give me feedback our advice? Thanks in advance. I'm planning on purchasing this soon but won't do the actually install still spring. I want to enjoy the height of the outback for at least one winter in Maine.All these options! I need help please.

drunkinmonk

I heard bad things about cheap coil overs but I'll definitely look into it since it is able to give me 32 adjustable heights. I thought about switching out my struts and springs every season but this will solve that inconvenience.

Would any know how these compare to BC coil overs? Between the $300 epic springs and $500-600 koni, this is right in my price range.

Thanks for giving my another great option!

Latest posts

Back