Machine shop needed - plz recommend

Imprezah

I am looking for a machine shop in southern or central Maine that can do fancy waterjet or similar cutting. I want to make some brake adapter brackets to blot on nissan 300zx fixed calipers to a Subaru.

As many of you know, this isn't breaking new ground. A company in Japan makes these adapters, and a few people In the states have done so in the past. But currently there is no one cutting these brackets.

For those of you that don't know... You can get aluminium or iron 4-pot front calipers and 2-pot rear calipers that were used on various 1988-1996 nissans for dirt cheap. They can be sourced from a remanufacturing company, a junkyard, or the interwebs. These calipers are made by sumitumo, the same company that makes Subaru 4-pot and 2-pot calipers. The nissan calipers use the same pads, pistons, and rebuild parts as the Subaru calipers

The difference is the location of the nissan mounting tabs. This prevents you from just bolting these onto a Subaru.

With a properly manufactured adapter bracket, you can use Legacy GT 314mm x 30mm front rotors, and in the rear you use a celica turbo 294mm x 18mm vented rotor that you just re-drill for 5x100 bolt pattern.

Long story short, for the price of Subaru 4-pot calipers only ($600), you can get a bigger, thicker front rotor, and a rear vented rotor that is as large as stock wrx front brakes, and nice front and rear fixed calipers!

You just need the brackets like the ones seen here.... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196085

423f40ca-94c5-a4ec.jpg

So who knows of a machine shop that I can talk to about making these!?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Do you have the CAD drawing of the part? I can have them made, but it will cost you substantially more if you don't have anything but an idea.

Imprezah

The two people I know of that have made the brackets are not willing to share dimensions or cad drawings. I can understand why.

If I did buy the ones from Japan, would it be less expensive to hand someone a bracket and say "make me more of these"

Assuming it isn't violating patents.

The last time these were availible, they were being sold for $300 for the set of 4 adapter brackets. All things considered, that is a fair price. It's just that none are currently availible in the states.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
you can't really patent an adapter bracket. Typical fee is $150/hr for CAD and then whatever the part costs to machine. Depending on how desperately you want this done, I can set something up. I would need calipers and rotors to draw up the part.

Fluffy282

I might be able to monkey something up... If you got the brackets, it LOOKS like it would be super easy to recreate.

Latest posts

Back