Maine Law Advice needed!! Specifically Tree related

ruggedman

Ok, there's a dead tree on one side of my lawn....near the property line, but apparently on my property from what i can tell. It's dead...really dead and ready to fall. It's downhill though and wont hit my house...unfortunately my neighbors house has probably a 75% chance of getting hit if it were to fall. Who's responsible for a situation like this? Like legally, if it were to fall on my house, could he sue me and force me to pay for damages to his house?

Oddly enough a similar situation exists on the other side of my house only the tree is in my neighbors yard and it'll most likely fall on my house. Who should pay to have these suckers removed if we go that route?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
if it is on your property you pay for removal.

do you have pictures? depending on the situation you could probably fell it without a problem.

Jimbo

^ and your homeowners pays for damage caused by a tree on your property falling onto the neighbors'.

If you need tree help, there's a guy that SW just used that he seemed happy with - check WTB-Tree Service or similar posts from the last two weeks.

ShagginWagon

^ and your homeowners pays for damage caused by a tree on your property falling onto the neighbors'.

If you need tree help, there's a guy that SW just used that he seemed happy with - check WTB-Tree Service or similar posts from the last two weeks.
+1 We haven't used Shawn yet, but he was impressive. PM me for his number

Lawdawg

A landowner is held to the duty of reasonable care in maintaining trees on their property. If a landowner knows or reasonably should know that a tree is a hazard, they may be found liable for damages to a neighbor's property. Your post here establishes your knowledge of the potential danger and risk. Cut it down.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
get some pix up. if it is a relatively easy fall, just wait till the ground is frozen and it won't damage your grass (if it is in a grassy area)

ruggedman

get some pix up. if it is a relatively easy fall, just wait till the ground is frozen and it won't damage your grass (if it is in a grassy area)
It's in a hairy spot...between his house and mine. It's got a weird bend in it too...i'm sure a pro could do it, but i know i couldn't.

Evil Jeff

A landowner is held to the duty of reasonable care in maintaining trees on their property. If a landowner knows or reasonably should know that a tree is a hazard, they may be found liable for damages to a neighbor's property. Your post here establishes your knowledge of the potential danger and risk. Cut it down.
He's the lawyer, listen to him. I'm the (former) state certified utility arborist, listen to me when I say listen to him.

ruggedman

He's the lawyer, listen to him. I'm the (former) state certified utility arborist, listen to me when I say listen to him.
Noted ;-)

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back