Mainely Woodworkers Thread

scubiecraig

I recently got into woodworking last year. So far I've only really tackled two projects, but I am really into it. It's a great stress reliever, and there's just something to be said about making something with your own hands, and then being able to enjoy whatever it is you built. I know there must be others out there (RedForester!!!) who woodwork too... so if you have some pictures of your projects, post em up!

Here is my very first project. This is a custom media cabinet to house all of my audio/video equipment in my living room. It was built to fit within two windows in my newly constructed house. Trying to find something to fit just wasn't working, so I took matters into my own hands. If you are curious about the notch in the lower section on the back of the cabinet, it was intentionally designed that way to fit over my floorboard radiator.

This was made with solid oak wood, except for the sides, which are oak veneered plywood.

MediaCabinet1.jpg

MediaCabinet2.jpg

MediaCabinet3.jpg

MediaCabinet4.jpg

MediaCabinetDetail1.jpg

And this is my second project. A solid birch, butcherblock top style workbench. 2' wide by 6' long.

Workbench3.jpg

Workbench2.jpg

The top of this was done endgrain for a stronger finish. Each board is about 3/4" thick (except the endpieces) and

glued together.

Workbench1.jpg

Oh, and here is the media cabinet in action! The TV has since been wall mounted though.

MediaCabinetInAction.jpg

wzrd

I have a small wordworking shop too..Next tool I need is a joiner and belt sander..

Did you glue and sand that top yourself?

scubiecraig

Hi wzrd, yes I glued and sanded it myself. However the first step was to plane it so that it was parallel. It's not perfect... but then again, it is the first bench I've ever made. I was really impressed how it came out. I glued the top in about 10" thick sections. Let those set, and then glued another section of 10". Once all the sections were glued, I glued them all together and let them set up. Let me tell you, that top weighs a ton! It's a super heavy duty piece of workspace!

Most of my equipment isn't really mine. My father in law lives next door, and he wanted his basement back... I wanted tools... so it was a win-win situation. He moved all of his woodworking equipment into my basement and I have full use of it all. He also comes over whenever he wants. He has a key to the house. The next piece of equipment that I want to get is a dust collection system. It gets WAY too dusty and dirty downstairs.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Ive been thinking about taking on an adirondack chair project.

Whats that sitting on the coffee table? Left side closest to tv.

scubiecraig

Ive been thinking about taking on an adirondack chair project.

Whats that sitting on the coffee table? Left side closest to tv.
My wife wants me to make an adirondack chair too. They are pretty neat, and pretty simple when you really look at the detailed plans. Good luck! Oh and the thing on the coffee table is a Port Bottle from Flag Hill Winery that was converted to a hurricane lamp. The bottle is awesomely shaped so we saved it. Now we fill it with lamp oil and they make rope wicks with a topper that you can use to burn!

Can u make some gun grips?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Never done it before, nor seen plans for one. That I think is more in the line of carving/turning wood. Something I've never done before.

Latest posts

Back