MainelyTelemark

gakosaurusrex

OK this is the thread for all my fellow tele skiers.

Post what equipment your reping and what mountain u do it on. also any funny tele sayings feel free to post that too.

Ok, ive been a down hill skier for 16 years now, at the beggining of this season my friend let me try his teles. Lets just say after that day my eyes had been opened, i went out and started looking at some gear. fround some boots and i liked it so much i used my DH skis to change to tele bindings.

Now im a full convert,

I ski at saddleback i use soloman 1080 skis and scarpa T2s For boots, my saying it, KEEP IT REAL,FREE THE HEAL!

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
skiing since 1962, tele since 1978.

now dodging trees on 1st gen Scarpa T2s, 190 cm Karhu Outbounds or 200 cam Fischer GT-S. Touring on 200 cm Karhu XCD-GTs (old skool)

as for where I go, it's always a search for the best snow. secret stashes in Camden Hills state park, at my land in Appleton, in Grafton Notch, but my all-time fave (outside of Utah that is) is the Pemi Wilderness in NH. There's a mature birch forest up above the Zealand Falls Hut that is an absolutely amazing place to ski, where when you go skinning back up the trail you find bobcat tracks over your own ski tracks.

favorite tele saying: "Don't look at the trees, look at the spaces between em!"

gakosaurusrex

Awsome^ i would love to do some back country! i dont own skins yet but im in the market=) oh my skis are 161s

Last edited by a moderator:

GClark

So I started skiing when I was aboot 5, then when I was 15 my friend got a pair of teles and I was soooo jealous. Bought my first pair of teles, K2 Ranger's with Voile Bindings. From there, Bluehouse MR's with G3 bindings, and some Scarpa T2 boots. Graduated from the G3's to Hammerhead Bindings, and mounted them on a pair of Seth Vicious.

These were my favorite bindings, very responsive and stiff as hell. I just sold my Hammerheads bindings to cadet over at West Point, and I have the rest of my tele stuff for sale too. I'm saving up for the Supercharger project, and I have too many skis. I'll be buying some Black Diamond Justices with 01's this summer to refresh my quiver.

My current quiver...

193, 110 under foot Volkl Sanouks

175, Seth Vicious

193, Seth Vicious

171, 110 unda foot, Fischer Prohete (And I bought them for $50, my favorite pair of skis)

I've got a pair of BD 03's hanging around somewhere

185, Rossi MegaBangs

and my Scarpa T2's. For sure my favorite pair boots.

And as you know I'm in Utah right now, but this winter has been terrible. 10inches sounds like a lot in Maine, but Utah it's nothing. We usually get 30in storms, and there hasn't been one this year. However, we just got a foot or more last night, soooo guess what I'm doing today...
default_banana.gif

When I'm in Maine, I have a season pass to Sunday River and Sugarloaf. Sugarloaf is by far my favorite, but the River is closer.

I also ski patrol at Lost Vallet(I know) and Shawnee Peak.

Oh and I'll let you know about Saddleback. I only went once there so far this year over Christmas Break, and would love to do some spring skiing when I get back, around the end of April.

4WRXter

Skier!
I have skied since around 5 or 6 yrs old. I don't truly remember exactly when I started. There is a program through the school, where we went Tues afternoons from around the first part of January for 6-8 weeks. When I was in school, "everybody" skied. We would catch rides up with lifties or cafeteria staff, which were usually relatives, or family friends. I did ski programs (hot-dogging in my early teens) weekends and vacation weeks up to high school, then got on the race team. Most of the kids around here skied together whenever we could.

After high school, I worked for the rental/repair shop locally. Started as a part-time gig for a pass, transitioned to full time seasonal. I did that for 16-17 winters, till I bought out the former owner. When I first started, there was 2 of us techs, so when it was slow we would switch off and go ski.

Some of my friends were telemarking, so I tried it. I started with Rossignol boots, which were leather bottom and plastic upper cuff. Had a pair of Olin Mark III (70s vintage??) skis with Rottefella Chili bindings. Went to Garmont plastic boots, then Crispi boots. I don't even know what and when I had for skis. They HAVE always been Rossis. I did that for 5-6, maybe 7 years.

I stopped doing it for a few years and put some A/T bindings on my Rossi SickBirds. Been skiing that for 3-4 years. I JUST got a pair of Crispi Evo NTN boots. And I mean JUST got them. I finished heating and fitting them JUST before I found this thread. I am waiting for some skis to mount the bindings on. I'm going to try some SCOTT skis. I probably won't ski on this set-up until next year.

I could tell you where I go to ski, but then I would have to kill all of you!!!!!!!!!!

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
my earlliest tele experience was in Vermont. was working ski shops to support serious ski habit, cheap passes for shop guys, etc. we got bored with alpine gear, skiing 100+ days a season. when the ski areas closed, we'd head up to Tucks and stay as long as the money and beer held out.

saw tele stories in some Euro ski mags, so got some Ramer AT bindings, slapped em on Trak Mountain 203s (metal edge XC touring boards) and used my koflach plastic ice climbing boots. we flopped around and crashed constantly and slipped and slid all over the place for a couple winters but eventually got the hang of it.

then one day in 1980 or so, my bud Mark and I were on the old single chair at Stowe, skiing the narrow steepies like National etc. ski patrol wanted to kick us off the mtn "you can't ski up here on XC stuff, you'll kill yerselves." we dodged the orange jackets for a couple more runs until they cornered us in the liftline. they were all huffy and wanted to yank our tix on the spot. we knew we were toast, but I was trying to talk them out of it. effin Mark made situation worse by saying, "why are you guys so mad? cuz it took you all morning to catch us?"

oh well, them's were the days.

gakosaurusrex

^(4WRXter) another back country guy!
default_banana.gif
Nels and I are in need of some back country adventuring! we want to do a skin in overnight and ski out, now that's an adventure!

GClark

You must come to Utah if you are interested in doin some backcountry. There is an unlimited amount of skiable terrain. It blows my mind.

gakosaurusrex

So I started skiing when I was aboot 5, then when I was 15 my friend got a pair of teles and I was soooo jealous. Bought my first pair of teles, K2 Ranger's with Voile Bindings. From there, Bluehouse MR's with G3 bindings, and some Scarpa T2 boots. Graduated from the G3's to Hammerhead Bindings, and mounted them on a pair of Seth Vicious.
These were my favorite bindings, very responsive and stiff as hell. I just sold my Hammerheads bindings to cadet over at West Point, and I have the rest of my tele stuff for sale too. I'm saving up for the Supercharger project, and I have too many skis. I'll be buying some Black Diamond Justices with 01's this summer to refresh my quiver.

My current quiver...

193, 110 under foot Volkl Sanouks

175, Seth Vicious

193, Seth Vicious

171, 110 unda foot, Fischer Prohete (And I bought them for $50, my favorite pair of skis)

I've got a pair of BD 03's hanging around somewhere

185, Rossi MegaBangs

and my Scarpa T2's. For sure my favorite pair boots.

And as you know I'm in Utah right now, but this winter has been terrible. 10inches sounds like a lot in Maine, but Utah it's nothing. We usually get 30in storms, and there hasn't been one this year. However, we just got a foot or more last night, soooo guess what I'm doing today...
default_biggrin.png

When I'm in Maine, I have a season pass to Sunday River and Sugarloaf. Sugarloaf is by far my favorite, but the River is closer.

I also ski patrol at Lost Vallet(I know) and Shawnee Peak.

Oh and I'll let you know about Saddleback. I only went once there so far this year over Christmas Break, and would love to do some spring skiing when I get back, around the end of April.

well, saddleback closes april 11, so we may be doing spring sking but it will come with hiking=/

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
You must come to Utah if you are interested in doin some backcountry. There is an unlimited amount of skiable terrain. It blows my mind.
heaven on earth is whut you got out there. got into skiing Utah about 10 years ago, and it spooiled me on skiin the East for years.

Silver Fork Canyon, ftw x597

4WRXter

Skier!
So......I didn't wait for the SCOTT skis, I mounted up my new NTN set-up to some 174 Rossi B2 skis, and did some "SUMMAH" skiing today. First impression is Wicked good. I would concede that it is not a great set-up if you like to go real, real low, but for mid-level genuflections and standy up paralleling, with some free-heeling for easier traversing, I think it's gonna be okadee-dokee.

default_biggrin.png
:tu:
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_additional_thumbsup.gif

Latest posts