Maine's New Exhaust Law? Effective July 12, 2010?

coondogg

So, I got cited yesterday in the Mustang with Flowmasters here in Fryburg by a local officer. Now Im trying to find a "Participating certified inspection station" that is able to measure decibels. Read that there were a "hand full" but I haven't been able to locate one flipping through old Yellow...

coondogg

Motorvation Auto Diagnostic (207) 510-7004 162 Pleasant Hill Rd, Scarborough, ME

Quoted me $30 worst case because both pipes would be tested. A lot better than the $70 that Neil Motors wanted to charge.

Id still like to find some other places in case it "needs help", lol...

scubiecraig

Rob, why can't the cop tell you what it measures? They should be carrying dB meters with them. How can they tell if it is "too loud"? lol This is the dumbest law ever. I don't see any motorcycles being pulled over yet.

PS - we need to meet up sometime this summer!

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
just like most other laws, it is solely based on the cops judgement. I have probably one of the loudest exhaust systems in maine, a few members can attest to this, and I have not once been hassled, knock on wood. I have a catless 3 inch (pretty much straight pipe) from the turbo back and have had that installed for the past 2 years.

If you aren't trying to bring attention to yourself than you will probably be left alone.

As far as them no having the dB meters and testing it on the spot I think that it's a little bs. but most cops think this law is bs too. I've talked to quite a few and they said that as long as the person isn't being a complete asshat, and it doesn't sound like a leak, then they don't even bother.

The cops that do seem to bother people a bit probably were picked on in school and need an ego booster.

just my .02

Last edited by a moderator:

scubiecraig

Well said... but here's my question... even though the cops think the law is BS... it still doesn't allow inspection stations to pass you. All this conflict over something that really isn't a huge problem. For the people that are being problematic, yes, ticket them... but I don't think they should be against the law. A lot of us do it for the performance, not necessarily the sound. I'm not trying to beat a dead-horse... just stating my opinion.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Well said... but here's my question... even though the cops think the law is BS... it still doesn't allow inspection stations to pass you. All this conflict over something that really isn't a huge problem. For the people that are being problematic, yes, ticket them... but I don't think they should be against the law. A lot of us do it for the performance, not necessarily the sound. I'm not trying to beat a dead-horse... just stating my opinion.

I agree, and that's why I have a baffle for the tip. Haven't been failed at quirk subaru.

coondogg

Hiya Craig!

Hell, I even asked the Police Chief to listen to the car and he said that it wasn't that loud.

I don't want continuing issues with my own town's PD so getting the documentation is a requirement for me.

scubiecraig

Good luck Rob.

drvsdwz, good to know about Quirk. I don't have anything to worry about... I'm stock right now, but I am thinking about throwing an STI/WRX exhaust on my Impreza. I don't think I'd have a problem with that though, seeing as technically it does come stock on other model Subaru's, and what the law reads is that no vehicle can have an altered exhaust other than what came stock on it.

RedForester08

Got a sticker last summer at the Sticker station with the STI axleback on the Fozzy. No issues. You should good to go Craig.

Apollyon12

The guys at the Sticker Station here in sanford told me that I was ok this year but next year maybe not. What they said was that the new OEM-only law was passed but put on hold, so they where going by the old db rules right now. It may change in the future.

In my opinion, the law is the law and if you can't prove that your exhaust is less than the legal limit, you have no right to SHE DOG when you get a ticket. A brand new exhuast is going to run you $500+ (yes, I know there are used ones out there) and you don't want to spend the $35 to get a certificate that says "yes, this adheres to maine law"???? That's pathetic.

Just like getting a ticket for speeding, you were braking the law, you got caught. Pay the fine, don't speed, don't SHE DOG. Live within the law, don't get hassled, end of story.

i-wagon

Luckily my oem muffler hasn't been on my car since 100 miles on the odo. I'll be ok when they crack down. And I can't wait for norway pd to start pulling over the guys with drag piped harleys that take off full throttle next to my bedroom window

Is the new law a bit of BS... For the most part. My father has a set of V&H Drag style pipes on his motorcycle. Last I knew he hasn't been stopped and it is very loud but mostly only when he really gets on it.

Will cops every carry decibel meters, doubtful. Back in the 2005 area a new law for ATV and dirtbike exhausts was passed that limited the decibel rating to 95 or less. If the exhaust was already on the machine it was grandfathered(from what I was told). Wardens have stopped people but only those who were being asshats. I have been riding my atv with a straight through design pipe for a while and have never been bothered (play with the exhaust under water or be smooth with the throttle)

widowmaker

here's the exhaust rejection standards from the Maine motor vehicle inspection manual

section 170.01.6

B. Rejection Standards;

(1) Reject vehicle if there are any loose or leaking joints or

seams in the exhaust system.

(2) Reject vehicle if there are any holes in the exhaust system,

other than small holes obviously made by the manufacturer to

provide drainage.

(3) Reject vehicle if there are any loose interior baffles.

(4) Reject vehicle if the exhaust system has been repaired with a

jacket, patch, or in any other manner.

(5) Reject vehicle if any exhaust system elements are not

fastened securely by use of hangers or clamps.

(6) Reject vehicle if any part of the exhaust system passes

through the passenger compartment.

(7) Reject vehicle if flexible tubing has been used to replace any

part of the exhaust system, unless such seamless bendable

tubing was factory installed as original equipment.

(8) Reject vehicle if the exhaust system or a modified exhaust

system does not discharge completely to the side or rear of

the enclosed passenger portion of the body of the vehicle.

(9) Reject vehicle if it is not equipped with a muffler or mufflers

that are effective in reducing noise. No muffler may be

altered to amplify noise, and all mufflers must prevent

excessive or unusual noise.

(10) Reject vehicle if it was manufactured after the 1982 model

years and it is not equipped with a catalytic converter.

coondogg

My issues are the use of opinions as to what is "excessive and/or unusual" on both the inspectors part and the cops part.

Neither one are required to test to any forms of measurement to pass your car for inspection or to issue a citation.

There are as many opinions as assholes, everyone has one and even tho they all do the same thing, each one is unique...

Matt

My issues are the use of opinions as to what is "excessive and/or unusual" on both the inspectors part and the cops part.

Neither one are required to test to any forms of measurement to pass your car for inspection or to issue a citation.

There are as many opinions as assholes, everyone has one and even tho they all do the same thing, each one is unique...

excessive or unusual is anything other than stock for a particular vehicle....its my(inspectors) opinion to as what is to loud or not stock....96 db at like 3000k rpm at such an angle so far away blah blah

Jonathan

My '06 STi is loud as #$!@ (Catless 3" TBE) but luckily I've never had a problem getting it stickered. Just got it stickered last week actually. (
default_wink.png
)

I have gotten pulled over once for my exhaust though. I was the only one on the road in South Paris at like 2:30 am. I had just gotten out of work (Maine Machine) and I was tired as hell and just wanted to go home. Luckily the cop was sympathetic and just let me go.

Since then I take pre-cautions..

Whenever I pass a cop on the road, about 30 yards before we meet I push in the clutch and hold it. Then I wait until the cop is out of earshot and slip it back into gear.

If it's unavoidable that I have to accelerate in front of/within earshot of a cop, I keep the RPMs looooow and stay out of boost.
default_tongue.png
Like someone else said, if you don't draw attention to yourself the police usually wont mess with ya.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back