MORE 2.2 swap issues and questions.

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
k.. obviously, I ran into problems with my swap.. Because I took a ODB II 2.2 into a ODB I car. The question I have is, the harnesses dont line up either way.. I was going to try to put the 1.8 Intake manifold back onto the block, BUT, I've heard hearsay about it wont fit.... so I ask.. if I get a 2.2 ODB I Intake Manifold, will that work a little better, or what if its a 2.2t Intake manny? help help would be helpful.. really.. Kind of need to get this thing running soon....Thanks

Rightseat

welcome to the Wonderful World of Scooby Swappage.

Sounds like you have entered Terra Incognita here, and besides that you are off into Partz Unknown...literally.

only way to find out What Fitz is to source out the various parts and see what works. it would help to make a diagram of the connectors on your block to see what ones you need for the intake. Trace the business ends of connex onto paper, then note # of pins, etc. Get yourself a wiring diagram (Haynes manual for Legacy 2.2 is a good place to start) and get ready with your nippers, and wire splices to customize urseff someting dat WerkX.

Goog luck, you gonna NEED it!
default_wink.png

gearsoup

hmmmm.....

an obd1 harness (EJ18) fits onto an obd2 EJ25 block with very little wiring....

All I had to do was take the harness off of the 1.8 and switch out the 2.5.

All the plugins were the same (except the temp sensor, the 1.8 was 2 plugs, whereas the 2.5 had 1 plug. simple splice there)

I had to re-wire my fuel injectors. The 1.8 has a different plug than the 2.5. I snipped the injector wiring off of the 2.5 harness and spliced it into the 1.8 harness.

Also, you will want to check and make sure your crank signal ring is the same as the old motor. They are interchangeable. If the new motor came out of an auto, make sure that you put that little piece of metal over the timing belt. (prevents the belt from jumping in the case of a stall, or hill)

Hope this helps....

gearsoup

fwiw...

I know you can swap a 1.8 for a 2.5 easily

I also know that you can swap an early 1.8 for an early 2.2, without ANY wiring.

I know you can swap any 2.2 for a 2.5 with the same "difficulty" as a 1.8 to 2.5 swap....

That leaves us wondering if you can swap a 2.2, for.... another 2.2...

inski

I'll admit I haven't done anything like this swap, or worked an anything much older than 98s, but doesn't the harness disconnect at the bellhousing connector on the right side? and doesn't the engine portion go under the intake?

connectors:

4=injectors

1=crank

1=cam

1-2=temp

1=knock

3=throttlebody

1=purge

1=egr

1=PS

The alt harness swings over from the left side

inski

and keep us posted. I'm very interested in your progress. I might have a similar project coming in the next month or two.

gearsoup

....and ecks, thanks that's the kind of stuff I was looking for..... with what you says, I might beable to do it.
No problem. Let me know if there is anything else you get stuck on....

Just see if you can swap out the harnesses. I bet that's all you need to do. Plus the crank ring. (no, that's not the technical name for it. I forget what it is...)

J

junkyardgabe

if you need pieces there's a bunch of 2.2L in the yard that you go and pick at. (freeport auto parts)

Latest posts

Back