Mother F'ing fog lights!

Evil Jeff

So, one of my fog lights blew, so I figured this would be a good time to upgrade. Got some cheapish Silverstars off eBay, which came today. Went to pull the foglight out, gave the socket wrench a good tug, *snap*. Damn. Well, still 2 left to keep it in. Move on to the next one, go slow and gentle. Hey, this one's coming. *snap*. You mother F'ing POS!

So, I quit while I was marginally ahead. Any suggestions how to get the last one out, plus the 3 on the other side, and get the 2 studs I broke out and replaced? Purdy please? :-*

inski

There is a plate behind your lamps that can be removed, it is what the bolts (now broken, you butcher!) go into. This plate can be removed with a little more cussin and yelling. With the plate out you might be able to muckle onto the broken (you butcher!) stub with a pair of vise-grips and twist it out. Otherwise, you will have to drill and tap some new holes. While the plate is out clean it up with a wire wheel on your drill or benchgrinder and spiff it up with some paint and lube the holes with mucho thick grease so the bolts dont break (BuTcHer!) again.

-=Lobstah=-

"NevR Seize" works good to keep stuff from rusting

I got a set of Screw-Out bits from Craftsman that might pull the studs out

katnip

the car is black. I swear
don't let them make you feel bad Jeff. I broke one of mine off on the RS. Little ol me. >
default_wink.png

Rightseat

Dr Prodrive prescribes prophylactic shots of PB Blaster for 2-3 days prior to next wrench assault on them shittly little effin ))*&*&^&^%%@##$%^ el cheapo scooby 10mm stupid breakable friable little bolts

even then, if you break less than 50% you are doing good.

did I mention that those bolts suck? Well, I'm here to tell you that "sorry man, they SUCK"

you can't even torch them, unless you don't mind melting the air dam :
default_wink.png

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Yeah, I broke a bunch too. The plates have to come out from underneath, so you have to pull the front of the wheelwell liners down. To do that, you have to remove a coupla plastic clips.

Bring 'em to me and I'll drill and tap 'em for you. Not while you wait, I'll do them at home.

Just break the rest off and drive with out the lights in the meantime.

mikebike357

and when you pull the wheel well liner and all teh lil' plastic clips... 3/4 of the clips will break and you'll have to go see Joel anyway to get more.

Rallycat66

Yep, snapped 4 out of 6 of those stinkers on my TS. And that's after using anti-seize on them when I installed the lights a couple of years ago.

Pulled the backing plates out and tried to get the rusty bolts out - PB Blaster'd the daylights out of them and managed to break 2 extractors in the process. Gave up and went to the dealer to get two new backing plates for $30 rather than continuing to mess with the bolts.

Problem seems to be cheap bolts and constant exposure to road grime and salt. Those SOBs get frozen in there hard!

Tim

Runnah

Nah man those 10mm bolts are great!!!

They make uninstalls easy as pie!

Tme to take off the snorkel...*snap* *snap* *snap*!

Reinstall is a bit rougher...

J

junkyardgabe

i would hose the backs of the bolts down with pb blast and when you put the socket on the bolt knock it a couple times with a hammer.then tighten the bolt first a little and go back and forth when loosing.but loosen a little more then tightening each time.

Latest posts

Back