motor ?s

wrangler25

gotta rs 2.5 , has the single cam . buddy of mine is willing to sell me a 2.5 dual cam for 100$ . fig ill stick it in the garage , tear it down , upgrade pistons or what have you . would you recomend dual cam over single and are there things I should look for as far as diff versions of the engine (different engine codes , etc.) believe it came out of a 97 legacy . Kinda new to subarus in general "toyota tech
default_smile.png
" . id also be interested in a couple charts ( engine code chart and body style chart ) if any of you guys have seen em around . As far as the motor wont be doing anything crazy to it but would like a decent turbo .

The dohc engine is notorious for headgasket failures. as far as doing a turbo setup you have 3 options. There are threads all over the place about them.

1. Best bet/reliable - buy a Subaru that is already turbocharged.

2. Buy all the parts out of a turbo chassis.

3. Piece together your own setup.

All will probably end up costing you $6k in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mighty Subie

That's really steep for the price on piecing one. I do know where you can get some forged single overhead cam pistons though!

wrangler25

thinking ill stick to n/a until I clean up some current bills . as far as the dohc , not afraid of headgaskets ( makes for a good day of beers with a couple friends ). real question , would it be a good idea to pick up this dohc motor to rebuild b/c the single cam has 240k on it ? as far as performance the dohc would be the better choice of the 2 correct?

Matt

not really a big performance gain with sohc vs dohc.... if you're going to keep in na id say do some delta cams and get the reflash from crawford....suppose to be good for 30-40 hp

wrangler25

with single cam? that means I should prob rebuild the bottom end of the motor I have? stock rings 240k burning oil , was drove on 3 cyls for quite a while ( prev owner) .

Mighty Subie

It would probably be cheaper and easier to buy a wrx or sti block and then throw the heads and stuff on it with the correct pistons and stuff. But rebuilding should probably be done if you want it for the log haul and don't want to buy a different one. Not saying it needs it, but its a good idea.

Edit: you said it was burning oil. Could be the rings. Might not be, but probably is. overhaul is suggested.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
All 2.5's had head gasket issues, not just the DOHC. And you can't just bolt the DOHC motor in place of the SOHC and expect it to run. The Wiring is different between the 2. You won't see any real power gains between the 2 unless you plan on a complete turbo swap. Get cams for the SOHC and that's about the biggest improvement you can make with N/A.

The $6k figure was once its finally up and running correctly. From everything I have read the final troubleshooting can be costly sometimes.

(null)

Latest posts

Back