My 2011 STI

Boostin11STI

Been a while since I've updated this. This spring I installed a Perrin AOS, and DW65 fuel pump.

The other day, I installed the Killer B Holy Header.

Beautiful piece, and Killer B will still warranty it if you heat wrap it, which I did. If you've done your research you know that ELHs have no real down sides compared to UEL headers. It is kind of a shame that the Subaru rumble is about 75% gone, but I bought this car for performance.

Header with matching up pipe with v-band clamp wrapped with titanium heat wrap.

Nice side by side.

Stock header

Killer B installed

This is all you can see with the hood up. A shame I'll only see the whole thing when I change the oil.

Heading off to Bren Tuning in a week to get the car tuned, will also be adding a 3 port EBC before it goes on the dyno.

Boostin11STI

A couple weeks ago I finally made the trip down to Mass to get my STI tuned at Bren Tuning. I did a lot of research online trying to find the best Subaru tuner in New England. Brendan's name kept coming up with excellent reviews. I also found a lot of favorable reviews from Kinetic and Dyno State, but eventually decided to go with Bren Tuning.

When I arrived I found a parking lot with a modded Porsche 911 Turbo (Bren's personal car I believe), C63 AMG, Audis, lots of German cars, sport bikes, and of course Subarus. Yeah, I'm at the right place.
default_additional_hyper2.gif

There was a 2015 STI with a flex fuel setup on the dyno that Bren was busy with, which gave me the time I needed to install my 3 port EBC before my car went on the dyno. After I finished, one of his techs came over and checked over my car: checked my EBC install, started it and listened to the engine, pulled the dip stick to check for metal in the oil, etc. He said everything looked and sounded good and took it for a test drive down the road to make sure everything was okay. These are not guys that just throw your car on the dyno practically sight unseen.

While the car was being test driven and then loaded on the dyno Brendan and I had a conversation about my car and what I wanted, current mods, etc. It's my daily driver and I wanted to stick with 91 octane since that's what is mostly available in my area of western Maine. So away he went to tune my car, and I went into the waiting room which has a window where you can look out at the dyno, and a TV screen that's tied into the dyno so you can watch the dyno readout.

He did pulls in all three Si Drive modes, and several pulls in sport #. I was amazed when it made over 300 WHP in intelligent mode!

When he was done this is what the graph looked like:

And here's a printout with the numbers at the bottom:

After he was done he came over to give me a run down of how it went. The first thing he said was my 91 octane was as good as any 93 octane he's seen. He said if my car didn't have plates on it, he'd never know it was from Maine, he would have assumed it was from around his area with 93 in the tank. Convenient since the fuel I was using was 91 octane from the Shell station 1.5 miles from my house. He said he's has good luck with Shell fuels, they seem to be a cut above the rest. My car also made more power than he was expecting, with my mods he said he would have expected around 305 WHP. He attributes the good numbers to quality fuel and the header I'm using (Killer B ELH). He also said the engine was in excellent condition, really quiet; obvious that I take good care of it. We discussed some other mods that I was thinking about such as bigger injectors, but he said my IDC was fine. The only place I'd be in danger of maxing out my injectors would be upper RPMs in 5th and 6th gear, but he wrote the tune so boost will taper off in those gears. My other question was a bigger TMIC or FMIC, which he also kinda talked me out of. He said as much as he'd like to see my car there again in another year or so he felt a bigger intercooler was not necessary. The stock STI intercooler is actually quite good. He said if I were doing a highway pull against an identically modded STI that had a FMIC they'd probably pull on me a little. But not really enough of a gain to justify the price of a FMIC at this point.

He was also nice enough to talk to me about other cars since I wanted to ask his opinion on some cars I was considering for future purchase. One of them was the previous gen C63 AMG with the 6.2L V8, which he is definitely a fan of. Just talking to him he seems super smart, and to really understand the logic of modern ECUs. It just seems second nature to him. I can't wait to take another car to him to get tuned! Definitely a positive experience at Bren Tuning.

Current power/engine mods list:

AEM CAI

Killer B Holy Header (equal length) with matching up pipe (v band style)

COBB catted bell mouth DP

Invidia Q300 cat-back

DW65c fuel pump

COBB 3 port EBC

NGK iridium one step colder plugs

Perrin AOS

COBB AP

Bren Tuning dyno tune - 15 PSI in sport mode, 19.5 PSI in sport sharp (319 AWHP, 343 AWTQ, Mustang AWD dyno)

I feel this level of mods is good enough until I feel like putting a built short block in with a bigger turbo. Not sure when that will happen. But as it stands the car feels excellent! It just pulls all the way to redline, has great torque, and is super smooth.

A few days ago I also added a lip to the front of the car. Nice subtle little dress up, and not too extreme since I don't want it to get ripped off in winter.

Boostin11STI

Installed Hella horns today, and decided to go a different route than the usual supertones. I went with the 780/ 840 HZ twin tone Hella air horns. Much better than the lame sounding stock horns. THIS will get people's attention.

Video:

Latest posts

Back