My summer project

Stryker

I honestly didn't know where to put this other than well...here. I am going to start on my summer project in a month or so and I can't wait! What I will be doing is building a completely custom Boxer Buggy
default_biggrin.png
You may have guessed by now that I want to build a "buggy" from a Subaru.

Project details:

ON-road vehicle

I will be using a 1997 Legacy Outback L wagon

Vehicle will be RWD and the engine will be behind the driver and passenger seat.

4 3 wheels

Unfortunately it will be an automatic :'(

Chassis will be built built from steel chromoly

2 seats with 5 pt harnesses

I am working on some 3D models right now and doing some research but hopefully I can post some more details soon. I can't wait to start on this and I will be sure to update this with anything I find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Sounds very interesting. What software you using? Some screenshots would be sweet. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this.

I also moved this to the member gallery since that's where most build threads seem to reside.

Stryker

I've been using Google sketch up for now...I hope to move into solidworks in a little bit.

I can't wait to start actually building this though. Most my diagrams are on paper right now though and I might just keep them there and not do so much computer modeling...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Sounds cool. Why not make it a manual? Don't have to deal with all that autuo tranny wiring that way.

Stryker

Well, I'm getting a good deal on an auto legacy. I am going to pick it up pretty soon. But the main reason is because I would have to find a way to relocate the shifter. I am going to be putting the engine and transmission in the same orientation but behind the driver...I don't know of a way to move the shifter easily or else I would.

Stryker

the shifter is just linkage. It is doable.

Yeah, it is doable but difficult. I would have to run it around the engine because the transmission will be behind the engine and so I would have to go up and over, under, or around the engine with the linkages. I would rather just start with an automatic.

Stryker

Changed the design a lot! Now it's going to be a 3 wheeled beast!

T-Rex-rival-Lotus-Exige-206.jpg

Going for something like that...obviously I don't want it to be exactly the same even though the T-rex is a cool vehicle...I want mine to be slightly different.

I might be using a 1998 forester as a donor car now...not that it really changes much but I also might decide to get a MT and put that in instead of the automatic...only worries are the clutch (to my understanding I could run a cable around and extend it...correct?) and the shifting setup...but as has been said before it's just linkage and my new design makes the linkage a whole lot easier.

Also, does anybody know where I could find a rear wheel like the one on the t-rex? That I feel will be my biggest issue with this build. After looking over some stuff online and at my personal 2000 forester...I think I have gotten rid of most of the problems I had.

Will try to keep this updated as I start the project.

Stryker

Whattttt!?!? A new post?!?!

Yup! I'm heading up to pick up Fatties 2 legacys on Monday (tomorrow) and it's going to be 10 hours of driving to pick them both up. If somebody wants to be super cool and help me out by moving one of them (or two if you have a dual trailer) that would be super awesome and I will pay for your gas
default_cool.png

I went to the UHaul place and the guy wouldn't rent me a trailer because my Forester wasn't rated high enough I guess. I unfortunately couldn't pick up the cars, so now I'm looking for a Subaru! If you got one hit me up!

But hopefully I will have 2 a cars to start taking apart and making into something with 1 less wheel!

All issues have been worked out, even the wheel and such. Can't wait to start building!

Stein

Stein
One less wheel... A lot scarier when it has to do with a legacy
default_tongue.png

Good luck hauling the cars.

Stryker

So, after I wasn't able to pick up the cars from Fattie I am on the search for another!

I need an automatic with ~150K miles preferably...frame can be rusted as I just need the engine, transmission, and a few other parts. The vehicle needs to run, would be nice if it didn't have any issues either. If you have something for sale that fits the bill, or comes close then hit me up!

But, I've been working on some more plans, specifically how to get power to the rear wheel! Here's my mockup...aren't you impressed with my MS paint skills?

mockup.png

Anyways, that's where I'm at for now, still looking for a donor car, and solving problems.

Input is always welcome, thanks!

Stein

Stein
Wait, I thought you already got the cars from fattie?

And I liked the idea someone suggested in chat: buy a bike for the rear. Heck, go ahead and use the whole drivetrain out of a bike.

Stryker

Wait, I thought you already got the cars from fattie?

And I liked the idea someone suggested in chat: buy a bike for the rear. Heck, go ahead and use the whole drivetrain out of a bike.
Wish I had, it was a great deal and they seemed to be perfect. Unfortunately I couldn't get a vehicle to tow them from him to me, couldn't get the day off from work, and he needed the money so he scrapped them unfortunately.

I'm not using a bike for this...I decided that a long time ago haha, still looking for a car to use!

Stryker

This is pretty similar to what I want to be doing...just with a Subaru engine
default_cool.png
and a few other changes.

So here are some pictures of what I hope mine will look like eventually.

Trike4-1.jpg

Trike3-1.jpg

Trike2-1.jpg

Trike1-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back