name that clunk

i-wagon

I can't really remember when it started, but taking off from a dead stop as I let the clutch out something clunks. Came really tell from where except the front down low. I checked the motor mounts which look fine, tranny mounts (covered in gear oil) and pretty much everything. The only thing I thought looked off was the rear bushings on the control arms. There was about 3/32 - 1/8 gap between the rubber and the steel, but the steel was polished so the rubber had been against it. Could this be the noise I hear? The control arm sliding back in the bushing?

i-wagon

Sounds like it's from the front. I'm not really surprised by anYthing though. I kinda drive it hard

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
I had a clunking noise under my car while letting the clutch out from a dead stop. I found out that it was the U-joint on the driveshaft being rusty, right around the time it snapped in half on rt. 111. Dead giveaway was that the shifter vibrated, even with the clutch pedal depressed, signifying warped driveshaft (Meyagi diagnosed that one, and he was right.)

i-wagon

I probably won't have a chance to get under it for a couple days now. I really should do it today when my buddy comes over for truck parts

i-wagon

Couldn't find an anti clunk Kit on the kartboy site. The control arm bushings seriously had close to an eighth inch that I could see it was moving. I'll put it on ramps today and have Smitty work the clutch do I can check the rear diff and drive shaft

i-wagon

I was there too. I'm fairly certain it's the rear bushings on the front control arms, even though Joel claims he'd never seen them go. Pretty much waiting for Inski and dan to weigh in now but I can say the noise is up front off to the side and low

i-wagon

Heard another loud clunk like something came right unglued the other day on my way home during the storm, now there's another constant one. Pretty sure it isn't in the driveline now. Anyone know where to get decent sway bar bushings locally that aren't 65 a set?

i-wagon

Are they not junk? I could have a set of those and a 6 pack cheaper than one side through Subaru

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
They aren't. They also are not polyurethane, but are supposed to be better than stock. also have a lifetime warranty

It's the sway bar bushings you need and not the links, right?

i-wagon

Correct. I read reviews on advances website that didn't make their (moog) links sound very good. Polyurethane supposed too be that much better?

Last edited by a moderator:

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Polyurethane isa harder material so it will lay longer and is harder to wear out than the softer rubber compounds

Latest posts

Back