Need a favor from someone with 04-05 impreza

05scoobyrs

Hey guys so I am an idiot. I didnt realize that in order to get a sticker, not only do you have to be able to see your tailights, but they have to be completely red other than the backup light... If someone with an 04-05 impreza could let me borrow their taillights for about 30 minutes, that would be VERY much appreciated. I will also compensate for gas if you are not really in the area. No real hurry my inspection doesn't run out until the end of August.

Last edited by a moderator:

sooch

Type-RA
you can borrow my 99 tails
default_blink.png
. Good luck with finding em haha

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Haha yeah they are. I can sand em down but its just a PITA.
no offense Mr 05scoobyRs but those dark tinted tails OUGHT to be illegal. I came really really REALLY close to rear-ending a VW GTI in traffic the other day, he had tinted tails so dark that I could not see his brake lights and turn signal in the bright sunlight until it was WAY too late. I locked up all 4, barely missed the guy and then he had the balls to flip me the bird afterward.

OK so maybe dark tails on a black car give a groovy look but those lights are red for a reason! I asked a policeman buddy what would happen if I had actually rear-ended the guy with black tails, he said "that kid would be totally screwed in court. Normally it's always the following car's fault if there's a problem but with those black taillights, the judge would probably throw the book at him even if he was making an otherwise legal stop or turn."

so there's some food for thought. do you like the tinted look so much you're willing to trade off real safety concerns not to mention legal responsibility?

name your choice-- red tails, or maybe having an F-250 violently installed into your trunk.

did I mention that this incident flat-spotted $700 worth of F-250 tires and I am still pissed.

Mark

Damn, I've passed inspection with tinted tails before. In Mass even. Those must be DARK.

05scoobyrs

naw they really aren't that dark. If I have my lights on I can see them in daylight. And you can hardly tell the difference at night. But ya... I still need some

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
what part of "exposing yourself to serious liability issues" don't you understand? if you were to get rear-ended, it would be almost 100% certain you'd be liable instead of the other guy who didn't/couldn't stop. this also means your insurance co would NOT pay a dime for fixing your car.

the turn signal in your photo is still pretty dang dim.

what I'm trying to say is that tinted tails are a Seriously Dumb Idea.

/rant
default_dry.png

05scoobyrs

to Bratman, no I don't live on 126, but I drive on it every day.

Okay, so... I know it was a dumb idea, but if I sand them down they are gonna look like shart. And I don't have $250 to dish out for new tailights. Also, that's the only thing keeping me from an inspection...
default_angry.png

05scoobyrs

The blinkers are really dim because the sun was behind me in the photo. And my insurance doesn't cover anything anyways... hence the ricey bodykit. (which is coming off this weekend!
default_biggrin.png
)

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I did spot you once when I was coming off the Gardiner bridge heading towards Pittston, I actually beeped to say hi

Jamey

That's why you got 3rd brake light
default_smile.png
mine are dark but u can still see red and it's plenty bright enough And mine passed fine

Matt

in steps state inspector...me. anything that reduces the light out put causes you to fail inspection....tinted tail lights to any extent, those stick on covers, believe it or not brush guards with the horizontal bars over the lights will make you fail....ultimately it becomes the discretion of an inspector.......you can sand them down with something gritty and eventually higher grit and then buff them to a nice purty shine.....good luck

05scoobyrs

@Jamey, right? lol I actually didnt think about that but its true...

@Matt00RS25 yea the inspector actually told me to just borrow a friends for the inspection... lol, also he said that was the only thing keeping me from a sticker even though I have a small exhaust leak.

Latest posts

Back