Need help in making a decision

Goldies_4_life

So I have been thinking over the past month about what to do with my RS, apart of me wants to turn her into a holy grail autocross car, but the other part of me wants to leave her in her "classic" state, for all that don't know she is an 98 RS with just over 130k miles with its original rally blue paint with goldies. Question is to all of you what do you think I should do, should invest in making my RS into autocross car or should I invest into another car that I can then make into an autocross car, and leave my RS in her "classic" state?

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
couple of questions to help guide thinking here:

1) do you really really LIKE autoX

2) are you any good at it?

3) are you more interested in winning AX or having fun building a fun car for it? (RS isn't exactly the hottest AX machine out there)

4) do you still need the car to be your daily driver (in which case, probly best to leave it alone)

5) if you want to win at AX, get a Civic

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
depends on what you are shooting for as far as holy grail autoX car goes.

I would probably skip the factory original idea. cars just don't last that long in Maine. If you were going to make a regionally competitive STS car, then I would say you need about $15k to get into the ball park. but if you are talking just CMC, much much less.

for autoX, buy a Miata, they are more fun to drive.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
I would not stay factory either.

as there is something appealing about those, 130k is about time to tear into things..

get some stronger fires, better gaskets, exhuast..and keep it street. that is a better classic than oe.

the best miles have not even happened yet if it stayed factory. I don't just mean power either.. a lot can go with a great running boxer, non-racer...just a bit more than oe.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Need more details on what your goals are. Between me and EvilAsPie, there's a ton of autox RS experience here.

Edit: That was quick

vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Last edited by a moderator:

EvilAsPie

Need more details on what your goals are. Between me and EvilAsPie, there's a ton of autox RS experience here.
An RS in ST trim can do some damage in smaller local clubs. Mine has been ST champ for the past 3 years with CMC, being driven by myself and my wife.

But in national standing ST is owned my 89 civic si's. However, there are a hand full of GC RS's placing with the si's in Nation ST, but not placing much higher then 15th or so. So there is some good fun to be had in the "how many civics can i beat game."

Also the engine in the 98's was the DOHC w/maf sensor, correct? I don't have any numbers but i don't think those had as much torque as the 00-01 SOHC w/map sensor engines. This is with no tuning on the butt dino. That's kinda a reason to leave it stock. Not to much the wrb with goldies is hot!!

Def curious to know more about your goals and experience.

Goldies_4_life

ok got a couple of reply's here so bare with me...

@Nigel Prodrive

1) Yes, I like autoX when ever I watch it I am always jealous that I am not in the car

2) Umm... from what people tell me I am a great driver, from exp I know how to drive on different roads with different conditions, such as driving on dirt, snow, snow and dirt, mud, tar, tar with dirt, tar and snow, also know how to control my car from spinning out of control when I drive over black ice, know how to take a corner at max performance, know how to drift, umm... I just know my car very well, and want to do more with it, but as for actually racing in AX total NOOB.

3) I am more into building and then just having fun with it, don't really care if I win at AX, just as long as I have fun at it I really don't care if I win or lose

4.) Yes, and no... I have a car I could use but I don't know how long mentally I could withstand being in it, it's a 85 Volo Wagon....top speed 60...

5.) Civic... from what I learned from the annual drive, don't they break easily? lol

@Pedro

Looking at more CMC got about $8K right now to play with, that goes with saying I would like to spend less if I can but I def think performance over money.

A Miata really??? something is just off when I look at it...

@boxer3main

Thanks for the suggestions I mite just do that, and then get another car for AX

@2point5RS_Dan and EvilAsPie

As for the engine type it's a DOHC 4-valve 2.5 liter F4 w/Multi-point fuel injection, Torque is 162 @ 4000 rpm, and Horsepower is 165 @ 5600 rpm

Also if you think I am biting more off than I can chew, let me know I am fine with taking smaller bits, if you professionally think that is best.

I am also not looking to make a career out of this, just as a hobby, I love driving my car so I am just looking for something more that I can do with it.

Attachments

• Mazda_Miata_MX-5_Roadster_Blue.jpg
    Mazda_Miata_MX-5_Roadster_Blue.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 0

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
sounds more like you should maybe take up rallycross....lots mo fun trailbraking sliding bouncing skidding drifting right then left countersteering while flat on the gas and slinging mud dust n snow in the air (often all of those pretty much all at once)
default_wink.png

no offence to the esteemed MS tarmac based cone killas, but rallyX is just plain big dirty fun. it's also a sport that a stock RS excels at...it's the 89 Civic of rallyX and usu spanks WRXes STIs and Evos because its light weight, agility and instant torque eat up the laggin turbo monsters.

Goldies_4_life

sounds more like you should maybe take up rallycross....lots mo fun trailbraking sliding bouncing skidding drifting right then left countersteering while flat on the gas and slinging mud dust n snow in the air (often all of those pretty much all at once)
default_wink.png

no offence to the esteemed MS tarmac based cone killas, but rallyX is just plain big dirty fun. it's also a sport that a stock RS excels at...it's the 89 Civic of rallyX and usu spanks WRXes STIs and Evos because its light weight, agility and instant torque eat up the laggin turbo monsters.
The more I think about it the more I believe I need another car, so should I get another car that is my daily driving car and rallyX with the RS? or just leave the RS and get another car that I can build into a rallyX car? or do I not really need another car and just spend all my money in to the RS and rallyX with it?

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
The more I think about it the more I believe I need another car, so should I get another car that is my daily driving car and rallyX with the RS? or just leave the RS and get another car that I can build into a rallyX car? or do I not really need another car and just spend all my money in to the RS and rallyX with it?
come do a couple rallyXes, see if you like it and then decide more about diving onto a slippery slope.

see post elsewhere on this forum about next rallyX coming up in January. all you'll need for that is a helmet and snow tires. vast majority of rallyXers drive their regular cars to the events, not that many guys have dedicated race cars (tho more are appearing evey year)

Goldies_4_life

come do a couple rallyXes, see if you like it and then decide more about diving onto a slippery slope.

see post elsewhere on this forum about next rallyX coming up in January. all you'll need for that is a helmet and snow tires. vast majority of rallyXers drive their regular cars to the events, not that many guys have dedicated race cars (tho more are appearing evey year)
Are you talking about the national one that is in CT?

Latest posts

Back