New project, Brian's '76 Datsun!

boxerboost

Just got this home today!

3LvRv3Q.jpg

She's not as fast as the Forester but she sure is pretty.

More to come as the opportunity arises!

boxerboost

Body is in great shape. He had all of the problem areas (wheel well, battery area, etc) professionally taken care of already, already has the bad dog frame rails done up, etc.

Needs a little TLC and a tune up but it's in amazing shape and will make the perfect base for a project.

Time will tell, money and time always gets in the way, but ideally I'd like to swap an RB25/6 into it once I can manage.

Apollyon12

That was the one on CL that the guy was selling an S2000 as well right?   Looked really clean and worth the money to me.

Let me know if you need anything or have any questions.   I have lots of spare parts.   I'd love to come over and take a look at it some time.

Apollyon12

Not that I think your rims are bad, but I recently found these and have been drooling over them ever since.

fp9hl3.jpg
2uswuc4.jpg

This is a pic from XXR's website of them on an older Celica.

sm7wuc.jpg

It's very rare that I see a set of rims that I KNOW will look good on a particular car.   But I can't stop thinking about the black ones for mine.   I think the silvers would go good with your blue, though they do make a gold one too.

This is the first time I have ever considered buying a new set of rims just because I like the looks of them.

boxerboost

Yeah he was selling an S2000 as well.

And I agree the wheels on mine right now aren't terrible, but I definitely would like to swap them out long term.

smelt240

Your car might be a little too clean for us. It looks really good! I watched it on CL for a bit, but then it was gone....  We have a small group of ratty Datsuns that we cruise around in. We are always looking for more old Japanese cars to hook up with.  Also, speaking of wheel swaps, they aren't for sale, but I have a set of staggered 15x8 and 15x9 SSR formula mesh gold wheels, they were perfectly flush on a 4" dropped S13 coupe. rears have a 3.75" lip.    If you're anywhere nearby, feel free to stop in and test fit them. I think they are the best looking wheel you can put on a Datsun. A little hard to find, but worth it I think.

Apollyon12

Stock, the S30's don't work well with a backspacing over 4".   Without coilovers, they start rubbing on the inside. And when too wide they rub on the fenders. For example, my 16x8's with a 225 wide tire are about the biggest you can fit under stock fender arches.   I rolled mine and I still get a little rubbing.

I think that a 9" rear would be almost impossible to fit in the fender unless you had a seriously streched tire.   The fronts usually don't rub on the fender, but if the backspacing is too high, they will rub on the strut.   But with an 8" rim that's not a problem.

Brian, I see you got good autoX dunlops on there already, congrats.   Are those rims 17" or 16"?   And what size tires?

And what has been done for suspension upgrades.   From the pics still on CL, it looks to still be at the stock ride height.

And brakes.   It looks like those have been upgraded too.

Last edited by a moderator:

boxerboost

Your car might be a little too clean for us. It looks really good! I watched it on CL for a bit, but then it was gone....  We have a small group of ratty Datsuns that we cruise around in. We are always looking for more old Japanese cars to hook up with.  Also, speaking of wheel swaps, they aren't for sale, but I have a set of staggered 15x8 and 15x9 SSR formula mesh gold wheels, they were perfectly flush on a 4" dropped S13 coupe. rears have a 3.75" lip.    If you're anywhere nearby, feel free to stop in and test fit them. I think they are the best looking wheel you can put on a Datsun. A little hard to find, but worth it I think.
I need to do a full tune up and get new headlights before I can commit to anything, but I'd love to drive around!

Those mesh wheels look nice, but they're not for me... I'm not sure what I'd like on it yet for a wheel style... I'm going to have to photoshop some options up.

edit: these might look pretty cool... or something similar. I want to try and find a good balance of old school/new school without bastardizing the thing too too much.
default_tongue.png

Stock, the S30's don't work well with a backspacing over 4".   Without coilovers, they start rubbing on the inside. And when too wide they rub on the fenders. For example, my 16x8's with a 225 wide tire are about the biggest you can fit under stock fender arches.   I rolled mine and I still get a little rubbing.

I think that a 9" rear would be almost impossible to fit in the fender unless you had a seriously streched tire.   The fronts usually don't rub on the fender, but if the backspacing is too high, they will rub on the strut.   But with an 8" rim that's not a problem.

Brian, I see you got good autoX dunlops on there already, congrats.   Are those rims 17" or 16"?   And what size tires?

And what has been done for suspension upgrades.   From the pics still on CL, it looks to still be at the stock ride height.

And brakes.   It looks like those have been upgraded too.
The wheels are 17 inch Konigs and the tires are 225/45R17 Direzza Sport Z1's.

I don't know *enough* about the car yet, but the suspension is new, just OE or OE+ I believe, not performance/sport or anything I don't think.

The front brakes are vented Toyota 4x4 calipers, and the rears were donated from a '06 Mustang GT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apollyon12

I thought they were 17". I my opinion these cars don't look too good with really big wheels.   16" is where I like them.   Bigger wheels start showing too much of the brakes and not enough side wall on the tires.

I'd let you drive my 240z and you can see what a difference the first level of upgrades makes.   My 280z is stock all way round and the 240z has springs, struts and all the bushings done.   If I was keeping the 280z, the first thing I would be doing is the bushings.   Were you want to go with yours will depend completely on what you want to do with it.

That brake setup is a good one.   I have the non-vented toyota fronts and stock rear drums.   And I have seen other guys with basicly the same thing on their race winning track cars.   More is not always needed.   The right pad will make much more of a difference.

boxerboost

Welp... thought I had her running right and took her out for a test drive.
At least I got a couple nice pictures while she was on the side of the road!!
default_tongue.png

943699_10201054430876073_328982769_n.jpg

1005924_10201054427515989_1294986960_n.jpg

boxerboost

Not sure yet... intermittent electrical/fuel issue.

I though it was the fuel cut-off switch inside the AFM, and it still might be, but I have to troubleshoot more.

The dumb dumb answer is "the fuel pump doesn't always come on, and the Air/Fuel is off.

boxerboost

Managed to get the new fuel pump in tonight.... after dumping about a cup of gas on myself because I didn't tighten the hose shut enough. >.<

Still idles kinda shitty but it doesn't die out. Step closer to victory.

Latest posts

Back