new to the site, subarus & looking for help with upgrading my scooby

bear154

hey, new to the site. i picked up a 1997 subaru legacy GT sedan 2.5l dohc a couple months ago. i am now to a point where i can actually afford to thing about upgrades here and there. the only issue is, i am finding there isn't a lot available for the car!? curious and open to suggestions and what not on who has what and what will work. i was told i could apply applications for the same engine from newer listings, but not sure if it will work. i love the car so far and it is in great shape!! i customized jeeps for 12 yrs and have decided to venture into something different....

Mark

the jeep and subaru communities consistently merge. best suggestions for the N/A crowd would be suspension. there's not going to be a bolt on application that adds a noticeable amount of horsepower short of a turbo kit. therefor the best way to make the car faster and more fun to drive would be suspension. get a nice set of springs (maybe after the winter) some bigger sway bars (esp in the rear) and most of all, some nice tires. Also take a look into the maintenence history. have the headgaskets been done? if not, might want to think about it. the DOHC 2.5 is notorious for HG leaks because of the material HG the factory used. Have them replaced before it overheats and it saves you from sending the heads to the machine shop. timing belt? subaru engines are interference engines, so if the timing belt breaks, you stand to damage engine internals.

Last edited by a moderator:

bear154

hey, new to the site. i picked up a 1997 subaru legacy GT sedan 2.5l dohc a couple months ago. i am now to a point where i can actually afford to thing about upgrades here and there. the only issue is, i am finding there isn't a lot available for the car!? curious and open to suggestions and what not on who has what and what will work. i was told i could apply applications for the same engine from newer listings, but not sure if it will work. i love the car so far and it is in great shape!! i customized jeeps for 12 yrs and have decided to venture into something different....

thanks guys!! the engine was rebuilt just before i bought it. the car itself is in pretty good shape. everything is in KMs so that made for an interesting first couple days. i just put on a set of falken ziex912s. i also changed out the plugs and wires and took out the airbox to fit in a cone filter. i am looking into suspension but seems hard to find. i am swapping to 18" wheels in the spring.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
thanks guys!! the engine was rebuilt just before i bought it. the car itself is in pretty good shape. everything is in KMs so that made for an interesting first couple days. i just put on a set of falken ziex912s. i also changed out the plugs and wires and took out the airbox to fit in a cone filter. i am looking into suspension but seems hard to find. i am swapping to 18" wheels in the spring.
most suspension components for imprezas up to 08 will work on your car, some need slight tweaks, some bolt right on.

Latest posts

Back