New wheels, but they rub when hard cornering. Help?

jimrussell2972

So today I picked up a pair of prodrive P7's with 225 45 17 tires. They are a great improvement to my 2001 rs. However when cornering at high speeds the body rolls and the rear wheels hit the wheel well. I have heard that sway bars may solve this problem. Any suggestions or advice? Perhaps a particular product or another solution.

08WRXME

This just started to happen to me. I get a little rubbage in the rear when cornering with weight in the back or if i hit a bump that cycles the suspension. I guess sways could help, but it seems most people roll their fenders to alieviate the problem. sways will help with cornering, but if you hit a bump, it'll still rub.

Evan

Go to a 225/40 sidewall, or add stiffer springs?
no. that's the same width, it wont help anything. and as 08wrxme said, swaybars (or stiffer springs) will help keep the suspension from traveling too far on the medium bumps, but it'll still rub on the big ones.

your only choice if you dont want to rub at all is rolling the fenders. you may be able to get away with just folding up the inner lip, that'll gain you another ~1/2". if that's not enough you can pull the fenders with a baseball bat, or one of these like i did:

DSC_1068R.jpg

you could also camber in the rear wheels like the euro guys but at the expense of handling and tire wear. also you could get a more narrow tire size, again like the euro guys and again at the expense of handling. it'll also only mean that you wont rub till halfway down the sidewall, but it'll still happen.

easiest solution: camber.

best solution: rolling/pulling fender.

Back