Norms Used Cars Warranty Service

Anyone had any experience with Norms Used Cars in Wiscassett getting work done by them under their 50/50 warranty?

I bought a 06 Impreza 2.5i back in September from them and it is covered under their 50/50 warranty. I have recently developed a engine knocking/ticking sound that comes on when in gear and under light load around 3000rpm. I brought it into Norms and they said I need a new block and it will be covered under their warranty. I am a little suspicious as they only had it in the shop for an hour before they came out and told me I need a new engine. Has anyone here had any experience with them, especially any experience with their warranty program?

Thanks,

Ethan

Also, any suggestions for a good indy in the Portland area to get a second opinion from?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stein

Stein
Knocking at certain RPMs just sounds like rattling heat shields to me...

My car (also from Norm's) had a bad catalytic converter that they replaced free of charge just after one month of ownership.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I know a couple people who have used that program with good success. What specifically do you want to know? If they're willing to go 50/50 on a new block, go for it. It's gonna be cheaper than having it done anywhere else. Norm's does good work.

Mikemeyagi on here is in Standish, he's generally the go-to for any subaru related needs.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
having them come out and say "you need a new block, we'll put it thru the 50/50 program" is WAY better than them saying, "it's fine they all do that, just run it" and then a few weeks or months later you have a totally pooched motor that you have to pay 100% of, yes-no?!

Yeah I was more wondering if I can trust them when they come out and say "you need a new block" that I actually do need a new block. $1400 for a brand new block is not bad, but I would rather not spend it if I can help it. Gonna bring it into a local place and get a second opinion.

thanks,

Ethan

05RSKID

My car did the same thing when I bought it and it was a spun rod bearing.

My half is $1400. Yes I know that's a good price to have a brand new block put in, but that doesn't chage the fact that $1400 is not really in the budget right now, and if I have to do this that will put a major strain on me financially for a little while.

Are they saying your half of a new block is $1400? Or that's the total cost?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I'd talk to them. Say now that it has a paper trail that they're going to do 50/50 on it, how long will it last?

Say if you just drive it as is, and it's fine for two years. Will they fix it then? Does it have to be done in the next 6 months? etc. It's worth asking them how far they'll extend it.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
$2800 seems like a lot for a new N/A motor to me. A new turbo short block is under $1800, and that's all they will be replacing in this case. It could just be me because I do as much of my own work as possible, but it just seems high to me.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Actually, that's not a bad price. New shortblock (n/a or turbo, they're pretty close) is around $2100. Then you need head gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, valve cover, etc etc. You're looking at at least $150, probably more. That put labor around $500. It's mostly parts.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Where is a shortblock $2100?? You can go right to the dealer and get one for a turbo for under $1800. Hell, you can get a turbo shortblock with ACL bearings and forged pistons installed for not much more than $2100 on ebay!

Mighty Subie

with a Mainely discount, they are 1800... retail they are over 2k. Give them a call, but you might want to be sitting on the toilet when you call bc you'll probably crap yourself.......

edit: they have been that much for a year at least. Maybe more now, but last fall, that's what they told me.

Latest posts

Back