Off Topic Jeep Question

birdman2447

A friend of mine owned a 92 wrangler untill last winter when I purchased it from him. We did a basic restore on it 2 years ago, new floor pans, suspension overall etc. The rear portions of the frame rails were not salvageable due to rust so we had a local fab shop make new sections and weld them in. Now I am thinking of selling the jeep, how ever another friend thinks that the jeep wont pass inspection due to having a repaired frame. The shop that my friend had it inspected at for the last 2 years never questioned it. Do any of you guys know the law for on frame repair? I couldn't find anything definite. I just dont want to sell it to someone on craigslist and have them not be able to get a sticker when it needs one.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Moved to the correct forum.

I'm sure someone will chime in, I don't know what the inspection law is.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
The manual says to fail the vehicle if the frame is rusted, damaged, out of alignment, etc.

But nowhere does it say you can't fix the frame.

If the frame was repaired properly, it's fine.

Just make it clear in your ad the frame was properly repaired, but that they know it was done.

If you want, you can take it to a different shop and ask them to look at it to make sure it's in good condition.

05RSKID

like what Chris said as long as it was done right and is as strong as its suppose to be if it was new. If done right its probably the strongest part of the frame now

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Yeah, that's a huge grey area. Remember most shops are inspecting for basic safety items. Throwing it on a lift, checking brake lines, fuel lines, bearings, exhaust, etc. If the frame looks fine, it shouldn't be a big deal. If it's a hack job or looks like ass it may raise some suspicions. I do the screwdriver test on a lot of things, take a screwdriver and a hammer, if it goes through its junk.

Seriously if it looks right, most places wont care.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It's not even a grey area in my mind, if it's done well. It's legal. If it's done shitty, then it becomes grey. The shop can decide, but if it's done properly. Why not pass it.

It's the same as fixing anything else. If your brake lines are rusted out, they obviously need to be fixed. They can be fixed properly, or shittily. If they're done right, a shop will pass it without issue. If some dipshit did the brake lines and they look like spaghetti, touching the frame all over, etc. It might not pass. But the inspector might also be a dipshit, so it could pass...

Matt

the repair has to be of the same thickness as the original metal and other than that its the inspectors decision. as long long as it its the same thickness and a good weld job ill pass it......

birdman2447

sweet, thanks for the info, the frame repair was done buy a guy who builds stock car frames and the quality of the repair is very good. Like some said above, its the strongest part of the frame now.

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
the repair has to be of the same thickness as the original metal and other than that its the inspectors decision. as long long as it its the same thickness and a good weld job ill pass it......
I believe this is correct. Also you can read for yourself guidelines for state inspection, online at maine.gov. search for (state inspection) find online document (which is also most current).

Back