oil consumption...anyone else?

Ceedubya06

Scooby noobie
So my last oil change I went 3200 miles, time frame issues for the 200, I may have beat on my 07 Wrx a bit but I checked my oil at about 3000 miles and I was 3 QUARTS low! No oil in exhaust or leaking out of the engine... some oil in intercooler but could I have burned that much?

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Do a fresh oil change. Make sure to check the oil once it is warm, and take note of where it is on the stick, and the date you did the change. Check your level every 250mi and record where it is on the stick. Make sure to check it the exact same way every time. Record how much oil you burn in the first 1000mi. Let us know how much you had to add to get to the original level on the stick.

If almost none burnt in 1k mi, keep checking every 250mi. If it starts to burn at some point before 3kmi is up, let us know.

Oil consumption is hard to diag unless you watch it closely, or smoke is blowing out the exhaust or something mega obvious. A little oil in the intercooler is normal. It could be a bunch of things, but I wouldn't worry until you watch one oil change carefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceedubya06

Scooby noobie
thanks RyanR I'm definitaly going to keep checking it regularly I work at Mercedes in Bangor and i do roadside assistance so i drive my car about every other month. I just use the bulk 5W30 we have here instock, i think Winward petroleum brings it...not sure. I just recently installed an oil separator but there wasn't a drop in it when i noticed the oil level low...could i have it hooked up wrong? its inline of the PCV to intake/turbo

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
If it's mobil1 5w30 or some other terrible watery syn that might be your problem. Many subarus burn that like crazy.

If you hooked up the catch can wrong and have created a large vacuum leak, that could also cause excessive burn. The car would probably run a little rough though. You can check fuel trims w/ a program called Learning View, or have a buddy at quirk subaru check them for you.

SUBARUDE

I have less oil consumption using subaru synthetic I use less than a quart between changes and is it a catch can or a air oil separator you installed

Ceedubya06

Scooby noobie
Its a catch can and I just disconnected the hose of the pcv and hooked the can inline with it. I was told turbo subys didn't like synthetic so I've just used generic sae oil

smelt240

Our 06 WRX uses cheap oil like its free.   Not real sure where it goes. On hard acceleration on a hot humid day (what are those anyway, I forgot?) you can see a slight haze behind it, but no real smoke.  We have 152,000 on it.  Going to try some better oil next change...

inski

I throw away 1-2 turbo engines every month due to broken piston rings, scored cylinder, oil starvation from oil feed tubes being clogged, blown turbos.  Its very expensive.  

Ceedubya06

Scooby noobie
The hard accel thing makes sense since I've been beating on it a little extra than normal... just going to start checking it every fuel up and like you said maybe some better oil next time...

Latest posts

Back