oil presure and EGT

akinaspeedstar

so i have a full set of HKS gauges in the car and i have two questions.

A: what should the oil pressure be in the RS? the gauge reads ( i think) 50-60 lbs when it's cold but when the car warms up and the car is idleing the pressure drops all the way to 20 lbs or less. i think that's what the gauge is in. im still trying to find documentation on it. but the warning light turns on when it gets low. but if you bump the gas the pressure comes right back up. is this normal???

B: i also have a EGT gauge. they replace the headers on the car and LUCKLY they didn't just cut the sensor the just took it off and tucked it up in the engine bay. thank god that's a 120 buck sensor. but what do i need to do to install it again. im assumeing that i need another coller for it. and then drill a hole in the header some where and tap it. or do i need to weld a bung onto the header??

akinaspeedstar

damn i was afraid of that. anyone a good welder? im good but not in small spaces like that. or should i just go to an exaust shop and have them do it?

Rightseat

is the oil press guage electrical or mechanical? I have a mechanical press sender on the rally car, it starts 50-60 psi at cold idle, then when car is warmed up it's down to 20 may be a little more. up the rpm scale, you want 50-70 anyway. do you know (or can you tell) if the motor has been apart before???

if oil press warning lite is coming on at low idel, make sure idle is not set too low first!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
it is possible that the previous owner set the warning light high for the extra seconds to kill the motor in an oil loss situation.

akinaspeedstar

it's a mecanical gauge. it has a sending unit in the engine bay. that's pretty much what i needed to know. that it should be running 40-50 while driving and that it will drop to about 20 ish at idle. the car also idles REALLY low at least i think it does. it idles about 500-600 rpms i think it should idle at about a grand personaly. if you manualy idle the car at 1000rpm the oil light on the gauge goes out. so im thinking the idle needs to be raised a bit

Evan

akina, you're probably just used to saab idles. they're usually about 1100 on the gauge, but in actuality its more like 800, just the saab gauges suck balls. go figure. ever notice how slow they are to react too? its like they're operated on elastic bands.

Latest posts

Back