Older Impreza Grill Fitment?

Stein

Stein
I found a good price (I think) on a JDM version 2 grill. The kind with the horizontal bar through the middle. I want to use it in place of my '99 grill. I know the grills are very similar in shape, but I don't know if they're exactly the same.

Will it fit?

Stein

Stein
It's through private messages with a guy who lives on-base in Japan. He says its a Version 2 grill off of a GF8 WRX wagon. I know my car is a GF, but I don't know whether that's the same thing as a GF8 (for instance, is there a GF7?) or whether he's correct or not.

edit: Is a GF8 just a ver. 5/6?

Last edited by a moderator:

WRB_Tank

I want to say that the Ver. 2 is an older model with different headlamps than your 99...I believe that it wouldn't line up properly unless you had those lamps and also you would need a different hood to match all of the lines?? Guys any help??

Stein

Stein
I want to say that the Ver. 2 is an older model with different headlamps than your 99...I believe that it wouldn't line up properly unless you had those lamps and also you would need a different hood to match all of the lines?? Guys any help??
I don't think the hood will be an issue, but I am worried about the headlight shapes...

help?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
If the headlights are shaped different, the hood will be too, that's how it goes.

spartan5

yeah,tank's nailed it right on the head there.....I think up until you get to Ver.4 it's basically older generation fitment,i.e. it won't fit your front end w/out switching out your headlights AND your hood, my .02 is that the 97 and up front end is what makes the older Imprezas sexy.If you're looking to change it up a little on the grille side of things, look for a C-west Ver.5-6 grille....they are nice!!!

Stein

Stein
This grill looked smexy, and it was JDM, and it had an I badge on it. But its definitely not worth losing my headlights/hood.

IBratmanI

You can get one that looks "smexy", is JDM, and has or can have an i badge on, and fits your style front end

Stein

Stein
Probably not for $40 shipped though
default_additional_sillylol.gif

IBratmanI

Keep looking!!! Ebay, and forums. Maybe even put a want ad up on some of the forums

Stein

Stein
So a JDM '96 WRX was definitely the older body type?

And what about the USDM '97-98? Do they fit in with the '99+ or the '96- or are they their own category?

spartan5

if it's USDM,then it should fit no problemo,anything 97 and up USDM will fit your front end without issue. As far as getting an "I" emblazoned grille,I've got a black emblem kicking around somewhere that you can have if you want it,all ya hafta do is pull the old one off the grille and apply the other with some 3M tape.

Stein

Stein
alright thanks guys.

Spartan, that would be awesome. I'll get back to you later today
default_frown.gif

edit: isn't Japan a year ahead of us on the models usually? A bugeye over there is '01-02, here its '02-03. Could a '96 be the equivalent of a USDM '97?

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
alright thanks guys.Spartan, that would be awesome. I'll get back to you later today
default_smile.png

edit: isn't Japan a year ahead of us on the models usually? A bugeye over there is '01-02, here its '02-03. Could a '96 be the equivalent of a USDM '97?
you won't know anything for sure until you unwrap the box and see if the JDM grille fits or not. for $40 shipped it's not a huge risk, you can always sell it on if 'new' grille don';t fit your OBS

Latest posts

Back