Our dear EcksJay should listen to NABISCO OT

Evil Jeff

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1601738

The Orange Box and Bioshock FTMFW!!!

The Orange Box doesn't need much of a system either, and you get HL2, HL2 Ep1, HL2 Ep2, Team Fortress 2, and the phenomenal Portal.

If you want to spring for a Gamecube or Wii, I'd also thoroughly recommend any of the Metroid Prime games, especially the first one. They're first person adventures, not shooters. Plus, you could probably score a 'Cube and the first 2 games for the price of 1 new PC shooter.

gearsoup

I alredy have a 'Cube for the kids. I might just go with Orange Box. It's coming down in price....

And really, when is it ever a good idea to take advice from the OT?

seph

I have an orangebox...I love it...

it'd be better if I could get high speed internet but...

I've beat EP1 and I'm close to it on EP2, but no TF2 or Portal....oh well

HR radness

His royal radness
OK, I am a huuuge FPS guy. I haven't bought a game in a while because my current desktop wont run graphics heavy games (FEAR, BIOSHOCK etc) . So of course, it's time to upgrade and get a new desktop. Is there anything from dell that would be a good gaming system but not cost a gajillion dollars? I would bee looking for the $1200-1500 range

akinaspeedstar

talk to evil, he builds people machines to do just what your talking about. custom built for way less then buying one out right.

Evil Jeff

OK, I am a huuuge FPS guy. I haven't bought a game in a while because my current desktop wont run graphics heavy games (FEAR, BIOSHOCK etc) . So of course, it's time to upgrade and get a new desktop. Is there anything from dell that would be a good gaming system but not cost a gajillion dollars? I would bee looking for the $1200-1500 range
Well, that depends. Do you want "good" or "great"? My system cost me about about $1K about 2.5yrs ago, and still does the job. 3.4GHz Pentium D, 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, and a Radeon HD 2650 XT 512MB GDDR3 are the key specs in mine. I can crank all settings up to max in Half-Life 2, Fear, Bioshock, Halo, and GTA:SA, and other than a little choppiness at certain points in Bioshock, they all look beautiful. So, if you want a "good" gaming system for not a lot of $$$, here would be my suggestions:

Start with something like this: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1020097. Yeah, I know it ends soon, but Dell is always doing deals like that. Any Core Duo 2 processor will be more than enough for gaming, so just make sure you get something with a PCI Express slot, then you can get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103058. It may not play the newest of the new games on max settings, but it's great for "good" gaming, and cheap. Then just pickup an addition 2GB stick of RAM for $30 or so, and you'll get good to go for around $500.

Or you could just buy a PS3.
default_wink.png

HR radness

His royal radness
That first deal is gone, the second one looks like a nice machine. The best option for a video card is a 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850. How is that for a video card?

Evil Jeff

That first deal is gone, the second one looks like a nice machine. The best option for a video card is a 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850. How is that for a video card?
They're towards the higher end of ATI's card, so you'd probably be happy with it. If I were you though, I'd still save a bit of $$$ (or getter better) and source the video and RAM elsewhere.

gearsoup

Well, i tried HL2. It a decent game, not just to my taste. Aliens, zombies and stuff don't interest me much. TFC is cool. My graphics card is kicc ass, and I can run either game at max graphics with no lag. So, TFC it is. And.........WoW. Yep, I'm officially a nerd.

Latest posts

Back