Outback Wagon Hit- family walks away

ShagginWagon

From the PPH. This outback took an amazing hit and the occupants walked away. One more reason to hug your subie today!

http://www.pressherald.com/news/car-chase-bail-too-low-critics-say_2010-12-01.html

portland-press-herald_3457715.jpg

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
From the PPH. This outback took an amazing hit and the occupants walked away. One more reason to hug your subie today!

http://www.pressherald.com/news/car-chase-bail-too-low-critics-say_2010-12-01.html

the day I hug a sube will be the day I...

I do keep track of wrecked subes. I am in awe 20 gauge can hold up like that. Even the owner in caption of photo said "it is hard to believe everyone walked away". I have said the same thing about a loyale with acualt front ends and actual bumpers and actual rear end framing...the newer ones are fascinating to ponder.

Don't even bother bragging up suby body design. They get the same as all the modern squishables with a strain of AWD..."fixed" by lamination.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
the day I hug a sube will be the day I...

I do keep track of wrecked subes. I am in awe 20 gauge can hold up like that. Even the owner in caption of photo said "it is hard to believe everyone walked away". I have said the same thing about a loyale with acualt front ends and actual bumpers and actual rear end framing...the newer ones are fascinating to ponder.

Don't even bother bragging up suby body design. They get the same as all the modern squishables with a strain of AWD..."fixed" by lamination.
the sole reason those people walked from this wreck is BECAUSE the car is squishable. cars with separate frames and big ole steel bumpers do not provide near the protection of the newer cars due to a variety of engineering and stress vector issues

if that family had been in a Loyale, the newspaper headline would have been a lot less uplifting.

boxer...automobile design has advanced a bit since the DL and GL days. guage of the steel matters less than its strength and engineered-in crumple zones. the quality of high-strength high-tempered steel in a new Suby is far removed from the recycled low grade crap Loyales were made of. that new Outback's job was to give its life so the family had a chance to live thru a very bad day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer

was the guy driving a train? WOW!

physics involved here were simple....the faster you go, the more you weigh come the moment of impact

so let's say the perp was going 75 in a 4000-lb Cherokee, and the poor Subaru family was going a nice 62 mph in their 3800 lb outback en route home from Grandma's house..........suddenly it's like hitting a brick wall going 137 mph in a 7800 lb F350 duallie. Yoicks! guess it IS a wonder anybody walked from this mess.

thank God they were'nt comin home in Boxer's trusty DL or somethin

Last edited by a moderator:

Gate4jg

That outback did its job. Granted its life was short but a vehicle can always be replaced. People on the other hand cannot. Am I a bad person to think if the other 3 rims are ok? lol

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
Makes me feel better about owning a subie. Though mines definately older and does not have side airbags. I'm sure those helped in this incident as well.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
That outback did its job. Granted its life was short but a vehicle can always be replaced. People on the other hand cannot. Am I a bad person to think if the other 3 rims are ok? lol
gate4 no you are not bad...at least not the first bad partZ ghoul person to think that {{guilty me smiley goes here]]]

I was in a really bad multiple roll wreck in a rally a few years back. Fiat X1/9 that went off a yump goiing 75+mph, got squirrely on landing, rolled 4 times, flew off a banking, hit a tree 10 feet off the ground and landed roof down almost in a creek. The roll cage did its thing and we both lived, but after that I swore to race only in stout lil cars with lots of big windows.

aka Subarus. OK so a few wrecks since then in scoobs and one big one in an Evo, no injuries but hey I'm still here to tell lies about em.

wrecking on the road izz why insurance was invented.

a colleague at work, his wife got creamed on driver side front in their Outback a couple weeks ago. car was nearly totaled but the body shop did its magic and the car looks darn good now. fortunately they had a medical rider on their car insurance and her lingering back probs are being covered by the car insurance instead of our (Very Expensive) group health insurance policy at work.

Matt

that's incredible.....whats a roll cage weigh???? i wonder sometimes why they dont build them into cars sometimes...of course two cars hitting at 130 mph plus will suck regardless....whered i leave my hans device!!!

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
My very first subie was a 90 LS wagon and I bought it for the reliablity and safety . Reliablity and safety is one of the main reasons I bought 4 more after that. Owning a subie + not being your time to go =
default_banana.gif

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
physics involved here were simple....the faster you go, the more you weigh come the moment of impact

so let's say the perp was going 75 in a 4000-lb Cherokee, and the poor Subaru family was going a nice 62 mph in their 3800 lb outback en route home from Grandma's house..........suddenly it's like hitting a brick wall going 137 mph in a 7800 lb F350 duallie. Yoicks! guess it IS a wonder anybody walked from this mess.

thank God they were'nt comin home in Boxer's trusty DL or somethin

no, they would be fine in his wagon. you forget he welded stuff!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
that's incredible.....whats a roll cage weigh???? i wonder sometimes why they dont build them into cars sometimes...of course two cars hitting at 130 mph plus will suck regardless....whered i leave my hans device!!!
depends on the size of the car, but a couple hundred pounds.

The big reason to not have cages in street cars is that we don't wear helmets and 6pt harnesses on our way to work or to the beach. A steel pipe can seriously mess up your POOP. (ask me how I know) And the little cage pads don't do squat when you smoosh your 5head off it in a wreck.

Latest posts

Back