Overlay Installer- Bangor area

Boynton4

I picked up some tail-light overlays for my 09 WRX hatch, and am looking for a place to have the installed. I don't want to lose my $45 investment by messing it up.

That being said, I would think most tint installers would be qualified at installing overlays. I was looking for tint installers in the bangor area, and there didnt seem to be much of a selection.

I think I found a place called Twin City Tint in brewer. Does anyone know of any other installers in bangor, or have places they would recommend?

Thanks

Boynton4

Yeah I did get the silver hatch! I'll start a thread on it soon.
default_smile.png

Scott sun control
Thanks Justin,

Have you used em, you like them?

Last edited by a moderator:

WRB_Tank

I also can vouch for Scott's I have had him do 3 of my vehicles, plus recommended him to LOTS of people. He does great work and stands behind it.

Boynton4

So I met up with Scot, and he wrestled with the vinyl for an hour and decided to call it quits before the vinyl became useless. He's a really nice guy, and I think I'll go to him for my window tint, but the taillights were a no-go.

Anyone know an overlay installer in this state that has specific experience with putting overlays on the 08+ Hatchback? It looks like someone who's going to install this, should have some experience installing them already.

Colerdub

I spent a full hour on one of my outer lights (08 hatch) and gave up. I called around Portland and no tint guys wanted to do it. I even had my car tinted and the guy would not do it. I am a little picky about how things look on my car and I think the overlays are extremely difficult to make them look right.

I just finished painting my lights 2 nights ago and I will be wet sanding them tonight. Paint sounds ghetto but there are tons of guys doing it on iwsti with oem like results. I will let you know how they look and hold up when I get them finished.

Colerdub

Yup it's called metalcast it's made to look like anodized alum. It's a translucent red paint. It requires a few coats I clear to look nice and glossy like the stock tails. Nightshades also makes a red version but I did not know about it until I was at advanced auto parts buying the clear coat.

The stock tail lights are ugly unless it's on silver or white. I don't know what Subaru was thinking it looks cheap.

Boynton4

Yeah, I'm thinking paint may be the way to go. I'm sure they have guides all over Nasioc on how do it. I was surprised how easily the taillight can be removed. I'm thinking a couple coats of the red, and maybe a single coat of the nightshades just to make it a slightly darker red. Unless of course I can find a place to install the Vinyl correctly.

So, a couple questions. What level grit are you using to wetsand? Did you have to do prep on the lights, such as a light sanding before you painted? Did you tape out the centers, or go full red?

Colerdub

The way I did it was to remove lights and wipe them down with rubbing alcohol then tape the turn sigs and backup lights off then re clean with alcohol. I did not wet sand the lens befor paint. I sprayed 5 coats of the metalcast red paint starting light and getting heavier. I gave it 30mins between coats. I let that dry for 2-3 hours and unmasked the turns and backup and again cleaned with alcohol getting of any tape residue. Then I sprayed 5 or 6 coats of clear 30 min between each. I let it dry for 48 hours and then wetsanded with 2000. The lights looked clear befor the wetsand just not perfectly smooth. I used rubbing compound and 2 polishes to bring to a shine. Now they look like glass. 3 things I would do differently would be taping off some of it when the lens are in the car. One side of mine is off buy a 1/16 or so but it bugs me. I would also think about wetsanding befor paint, might help the paint stick. Last I would only clear over the red as when I cleared over the backup and turn sig it became slightly cloudy, very slight but a little bit. This may make a ridge between the red and clear. I would check out the thread on iwsti it's 30+ pages long with a lot of pics and tips. Let me know if you have any more questions. I will try to get some pics up soon

Theres a pic in that thread with a guy that did 3 coats red one nightshades and it looked great.

Latest posts

Back