oxygen sensor change 06-07 imp

i-wagon

some may find this simple, some, not so much. but I just did my front sensor in the yard in about 40 minutes.

stuff needed: sensor, new exhaust manifold gaskets, manifold to forward midpipe gasket( unless you drop that too) 12mm socket, 14mm deep socket, 7/8 oxygen sensror socket, about an 8 inch extension, and ....ratchet, either drive on ramps, jack and jackstands, or a lift

now, I have no pictures, since it was cold out and I just wanted the damn thing fixed, but I'll do my best to explain well. start with the car on the ground. open the hood and locate the oxygen sensor plugs, pass side of motor toward the front. unplug both, regardless of which one you are changing. put the car up in the air however you can, disconnect battery so the ecu can start resetting itself. climmb inder the front and locate the 4 clips and 3 bolts holding on the splash shield at the front of the car. remove the 3 bolts (12mm) and 4 clips, remove shield and set everything aside. if your manifold hasnt been off recently spray the 3 studs on each side and the 3 studs to the midpipe after the cat with high powered penetrant of your choice. I was lucky enough to have had a new manifold warrantied 2 months ago, so everything came right apart. go drink a beer while penetrant works. come back and try to loosen the nuts/studs on either side of the manifold attaching it to the block. dont man handle them too hard or they'll break and it'll be expensive. sometimes the studs come out, dont think it matters set them somewhere safe when removed and dont lose stuff like I did. chuck the old manifold gaskets and start loosening the 3 bolts holding the manifold to what I call the forward mid pipe. if you dont think they'll com apart, just undo the spring bolts that hold the midpipe to forward midpipe near the donut gasket, either way works. after you dismantle the flange of your choice the whole assembly should come off the car. at this point you can finally access whichever sensor needs changing. some penetrant would be nice on this too, depending on if its been changed before and had never seize put on. the sensor I bought ( denso oe at napa for 118) came with enough never seize to apply it to everything you've taken apart at this point. install the new sensor with never seize. put header back under car and reattach to whichever rearward connection you disconnected, never seize bolts. dont forget gasket if you did the forward connection. now install the new manifold gaskets and either nuts or studs, whichever way they came out. never sieze them too. plug in sensors and re connect battery, fire it up to make sure everything functions and check engine light isn't on. if all is well, reinstall the splash shield and good to go

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
How many miles did it take to fail?

I just popped my first O2 sensor code the other day (163k mi)

and FYI, you should replace them both at the same time (front and rear O2)

The first O2 affects your fueling, the rearward one only checks the efficiency of the cat.

i-wagon

I'm at 76k. front one went and it was running like crap and stalling every time I pushed in the clutch. as expensive as the rear one is, I'll wait for a code for that to pop before I tough it, and might just do a sensor delete. but al least now I know why ive been having lousy fuel mieage for a few months. I was warned it could be this but there was no way to know till it threw a code. guess what, I found it!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
ahh nevermind. usually you get the P0420 before you have a failure of the front sensor. Then people go through all the work to put a new rear sensor in and it really doesn't do anything.

Latest posts

Back