P0740 code?

SUBARUGURU

Suba~dude
I'm going to give as much information as I can so I can get this resolved ASAP.

1998 Forester L, 2.5na, 4EAT. 157K

I recently bought this vehicle and as per my M.O. Immediately ripped it apart. Before I pulled my engine I had a code for a knock sensor, which I replaced. I cleared the codes, pulled the engine, regasketed everything, new timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, water pump, knock sensor, crank pulley, everything that might break down.

Before I pulled the motor I installed a 1" strut top spacer in the front and a 1 1/2" strut top spacer in the rear. I drove it around a little and heard a crunching noise from the right front area apon acceleration. I didn't think much of it and pulled the motor for the predescribed work.

Motor is all back in. No problems with installation. Runs like a champ. 24 MPG.

I figure the noise is a CV shaft. Replace that. Take it for a ride, same noise. Put that shaft on the left side, same noise. A clunk,clunk,clunk that increases with speed but goes away when speed is leveled out. Have someone drive the car with me in it and it doesn't do it. Weight related?

About 2 weeks later I get the PO740 code. Transmission converter non lock up, open circuit. Coincidence?

The tranny pan was not crushed to damage the Duty B Solenoid, trans fluid is pretty dark, flushing this coming week and filter, added some Seafoam to preclean it. Replaced front and rear diff fluid, no metal shavings, just black 80/90w. No drivability issues, ie. no excessive RPM.

Going to WBM in 2 weeks and don't want to pay for a tow home.

Anyone else get the PO740 code and what was the cure?

On a side note the converter never came off the transmission when I pulled the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

Be forewarned, I had my forester flushed, tranny popped very shortly after. If they aren't done regularly I've been told it's worse to change it

SUBARUGURU

Suba~dude
May just do a filter. I need to check the resistance on the solenoids in pan. I'm going to look for a manual transmission just incase this one pops.

SUBARUGURU

Suba~dude
Update

The nice new, not rebuilt, CV shaft was junk too. Going to get a NAPA one tomorrow. Doesn't solve the PO740 code but gets rid of that annoying clatter in the front.

Latest posts

Back