painting stock wheels

XDIRTYX

i want to paint my stock wheels flat black. what type of spray paint should i use? dupli-color?

nhmtns

I used Dupli-color engine enamel because it came in a color I wanted. Whatever you use, don't skimp on the prep work. That's the most important part of the process.

GClark

Alright I used Duplicolor! It turned out awesome. Make sure to get the flat clearcoat to. Also, it holds up really well, the wheels are still flawless after a 3,000 trip, I did about 2 coats of primer, 3-5 regular coats of paint, then 3-4 coats of clearcoat. Good luck!

Nate

Founding Father
may think of trading someone with an 08 plus a tiny bit of cash first. those dark grey rims are sought after a bit more then the silver ones.

not to mention, are you going to winter tires soon?

Ryan

Use Duplicolor's specific wheel coating paint. They have it in black, gold, bronze, and white.

DaveHarvey

Use Duplicolor's specific wheel coating paint. They have it in black, gold, bronze, and white.
Agreed, that's what I used on my 18's and they came out great. And like everyone is saying, take your time on the prep work!

Renshi

not to mention, are you going to winter tires soon?
I've seen a few posts on winter tires. Are the factory tires not any good in the snow? All 4WD and AWD vehicles that I've owned in the past went great in the snow regardless of the tire on it.

Agreed, that's what I used on my 18's and they came out great. And like everyone is saying, take your time on the prep work!
Are there any good write ups on how to do this so that it comes out well?

Nate

Founding Father
I've seen a few posts on winter tires. Are the factory tires not any good in the snow? All 4WD and AWD vehicles that I've owned in the past went great in the snow regardless of the tire on it.
your stockers (as long as they have decent tread on them) will do just fine in the snow, i ran mine last year with no issues. in 2009 they changed oe tires on the wrx's to a summer only tread. that why i asked if he was going to be changing tires soon. running a summer only tread in the white stuff is suicide.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Heh, if you think that stock all season tires were "great" in the snow just because of AWD, you got an education coming. Esp when you go for a ride in the white stuff in a well driven Scoob on real winter rubber, then try to match that in your all sesaon equipped car...
default_tongue.png
default_smile.png
default_additional_sad.gif
default_eek.gif
default_wink.png
default_additional_sillylol.gif

proper winter tires make a much larger difference in the safety/fun factor on sno/ice than you'd experieince in summer by going from all seasons to max performance summer gumballs. MUCH more betta.

the right tires make snow days into something to be longed-for (and enjoyed to the max) instead of simply tolerated until the plows get out and spread deadly salt all over everything.

Kristof

Banned
Heh, if you think that stock all season tires were "great" in the snow just because of AWD, you got an education coming. Esp when you go for a ride in the white stuff in a well driven Scoob on real winter rubber, then try to match that in your all sesaon equipped car...
default_smile.png
default_wink.png
default_smile.png
default_woohoo.gif
default_wink.png
default_smile.png

proper winter tires make a much larger difference in the safety/fun factor on sno/ice than you'd experieince in summer by going from all seasons to max performance summer gumballs. MUCH more betta.

the right tires make snow days into something to be longed-for (and enjoyed to the max) instead of simply tolerated until the plows get out and spread deadly salt all over everything.
i agree that is one thing i have learned from all my track days and autox's with my cars i have had. tires are the most important part in having fun in a car. you can have all the suspension work you want if you dotn have a good tire its usless

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
The guys are right, if your all-seasons have a good tread depth, you'll get able to get around easy in a subaru. I live on a dirt road that might get plowed when the town gets around to it and haven't been stuck once with all-seasons. With that said, I got a knock-out deal on some winter tires here on the forum. Its not a bad investment, your all-seasons will last you longer and you get even more piece of mind while driving around in the winter months.

Latest posts

Back