Painting

Tyler

Does anyone hae any tips for me for painting the hood?

I know you're supposed to sand all all that stuff ... but I do plan on getting it painted professionally eventually.

Would just spraying over it be fine, or should I sand it some first?

Also, I wasn't sure about flat-flat black, so I got a semi-flat ... that'll still look decent, yes?

J

junkyardgabe

are you at the garage or your apt.?

you can change your almost turbo thing now ;D

inski

**I'd like some painting tips too.**

I'll be shooting the VW sometime this spring/summer.

My intentions are to

*hit the rust and dents with the grinder and bondo and primer those spots.

* tape off entire car.

* sand entire car with 400 grit

*clean with laquer thinner

* wet sand with 600 or 800 grit, cant remember which grit I have.

* clean again with laquer thinner.

* spray primer

* spray color

* spray color

* spray clear

*spray clear

But I might end up skipping the primer and clear steps, depends on money.

Tyler

I'm at the Apt ... I may head into town later but I gotta visit the mother-unit, so I dunno how much painting I'll be doing there. Do you have something in mind?
default_wink.png

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I just spent all weekend at the bodyshop and Inski's list is spot on. Definitely scuff it before you paint it. The paint needs something to stick to. Use 400 grit and wet sand it. Blow it off and wash it with laquer thinner or adhesive cleaner. If the paint on the hood isn't peeling, you don't need to prime it, just sand it. Fill and chips with body filler for that show car finish...

Tyler

Hey man, how did it turn out?! I want to see!

I plan on getting it done professionally down the road, I'm just doing this now cause I don't quite like the green hood ...

A little birdie told me to get a scrub brite pad, or whatever those are called, and scuff it. It then told me to get rubbing alc. to clean it with.

I just put the first couple coats on the hood .. and because my other can of black is busted (sprays out from where the pin pushes in), I'm gunna try the other stuff red .. if it doesn't look good, I'll go oer it with black later on.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Yeah, 3M Scitchbrite pads, the gray ones, not the red, will do the trick. 400g just might be a lttle faster.

Runnah

Inski, are you renting/own a spray gun?

Or are you rattle canning it?

If you have a spray gun I'd be wanting to borrow it for a weeknd to give my rig a freshening up!

katnip

the car is black. I swear
I spray bombed the courgar a few years back, not all that bad. I actually scraped all the paint off first then spray bombed the primer. :
default_biggrin.png

Al is DA'ing the neon, not sure what grit he is using, but you must get the clear coat off before repainting! Or let the chipping of the paint begin. She should be getting a fresh coat of primer this weekend and hopefully paint the next. The neon is going from red, white and blue to something new and purdy for NEFR.

k

katnip

I spray bombed the courgar a few years back, not all that bad. I actually scraped all the paint off first then spray bombed the primer. :
default_biggrin.png

Al is DA'ing the neon, not sure what grit he is using, but you must get the clear coat off before repainting! Or let the chipping of the paint begin. She should be getting a fresh coat of primer this weekend and hopefully paint the next. The neon is going from red, white and blue to something new and purdy for NEFR.

k
I hear it's gonna be PINK??!!???
over my dead body :
default_biggrin.png

P

patriotparts

laquer thinner for guns, be sure to run it through the gun throughly, oh and dont sand between coats unless your goin to be putting on more than three coats, just use wax and grease remover and cheese cloth between spraying

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
What he said, but use adhesive cleaner on the car. You can use laquer thinner, but it does soften whatever paint is left on the car.

Tack rags, Martin Senior part# 101 are essential. The last thing you do before you spray it is wipe it down with these. 2 will be enough.

katnip

the guy who was gonna paint the neon just backed out >
default_wink.png
Anyone wanna earn a few bucks and some brewskies, I'll supply all the paint, etc. and bring the car to you, she just needs to be squirted. ???

Latest posts

Back