passing in a passing zone is now illegal in Maine

HR radness

His royal radness
At least according to the idiot Waldo county Sherrif's deputy who pulled me over tonight.

I am heading south through Northport on Route 1 tonight on my way home with my 4 year old in the back. I am following a loong line of traffic that is going 5-10 MPH below the speed limit. I get to a passing zone going uphill...so I pass. I am keeping it no more than 65 and zooming easily by several cars. At the top of the hill I wind up behind yet another dazed motorist who is also going about 10 MPH slow. I am already doing 65 and the center line turns dashed so I sail on by. Who is zooming up behind me but none other than officer friendly

He comes up to the window and immediately asks the standard stuff ( I thought he was getting me for speeding) I just act stupid and say "umm, I'n not really sure officer".....( I really wasn't, actually)

Then he lays into me

"No I pulled you over because you passed several cars and are driving like a JACKASS!!"

"Is there someone dying in Rockport that you have to get there in such a hurry!!??"

"so why did I pull you over?" (oh I get it, it's a quiz) :
default_wink.png

"because I was being stupid officer"

"Right ANSWER!!" and storms off to his car

Needless to say, he scared the bejeezus out of my child. I turn around to talk to her and her eyes are HUUGE and she is about to start bawling. "I want to go home daddy" and then the waterworks start.

I calmly explain to her (unlike officer friendly) as much as I can and manage to calm her down a little, but she is genuinely fightened

When the deputy comes back to the car he proceeds to explain to me that he is writing me up for impoper passing and that it is really a gift. He could write me for improper passing the 4 cars I went by (in a passing zone) and he could also write me for driving to endanger.

You know, all the time we have spent as parents explaining to Rachael that the police are here to help us, blah blah have all gone right down the shitter.

Rightseat

rad rad rad

don't chew know by now that alla dem scoobarus be dribben by de debbil :
default_wink.png

if you have one, you are one.

condolences. sounds like you in wrong place at wrong time.

you know you need to show up to fight this one. 8x10 glossy photos with circles n arrows and explanations on the back, etc

Rightseat

heh, EJ, din't know you were thet old!

rad's case will likely come down to "officer's judgement vs perp';s judgement"

then the judge's judgement will decide things

we pwomise to come visit rad in the pen
default_wink.png

gearsoup

nope, not that old. Only 28. I just have an eclectic taste in music. Plus, I've worked with a LOT of older machinists (most of them have worked longer than I've been alive), and they tended to lean towards the Oldies station.

Rad, would you like the whole STM community to stand behind you as a character witness at your trial? I'm sure that would help your case! ;D ;D

HR radness

His royal radness
He was a dick,,, but,,, 29-A section 2070-5A Limitations When approaching the crest of a grade. Sorry.
So what are the limitations "when approaching the crest of a grade" ? since only the law enforcement community knows them

He specifically said that I was improperly passing everyone, I only went by one car at the crest of the hill. I think he saw me passing everyone and assumed I was hauling ass (they were all creeping along at 40 in a 55). He didn't bother to bring up my speed so I don't think he has that. He was an ass

Impreza05

He was a dick,,, but,,, 29-A section 2070-5A Limitations When approaching the crest of a grade. Sorry.
So what are the limitations "when approaching the crest of a grade" ? since only the law enforcement community knows them

He specifically said that I was improperly passing everyone, I only went by one car at the crest of the hill. I think he saw me passing everyone and assumed I was hauling ass (they were all creeping along at 40 in a 55). He didn't bother to bring up my speed so I don't think he has that. He was an ass
He was an ass, basically no passing on a hill, within 100 feet of a bridge when view is obstructed, 100 feet of an intersection, railroad grade crossing except when turning left to enter an intersecting way.

HR radness

His royal radness
OOOH, interesting, thanks for letting me know. I wasn't doing any of those. I was passing in a two-lane passing zone that went uphill. I'm definetly going to fight this one, he made my kid cry >
default_wink.png

rallyxi

I almost positive that wouldnt apply in a DOT created passing zone, (two lanes, one direction, dotted white line)...Jaz needs to pipe in on this
default_wink.png

He specifically said that I was improperly passing everyone, I only went by one car at the crest of the hill.

SUBARUDE

could it be cause of the amount of car he passed at once is there a law on how cars your allow to pass before its consider driving to endanger whether its in passing zone or not

rallyxi

I haven't heard of that one either...if that were true we would ALL be in jail...lol

could it be cause of the amount of car he passed at once is there a law on how cars your allow to pass before its consider driving to endanger whether its in passing zone or not

Latest posts

Back