Pedro's Toy: 02 WRX

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
OK so I stumbled upon a great deal on an 02 WRX with some "issues". This is my journal documenting it's resurrection or destruction.

Here is a picture or two:

303944_674037012587_32603084_35174765_1302979000_n.jpg

296703_674036748117_32603084_35174760_363352106_n.jpg

The status right now is that it starts and runs, but will not move forward or backward even with a pretty hefty amount of throttle and clutch slippage. So my guess is either munched trans, or brakes are frozen (it has been sitting for a while).

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
She has some rear fender rust and one door that has a weird paint issue, but other than that it is a bunch of UN-modding to get it running right, and then some work to turn it into a hillclimb/rallyX/recce toy.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
it is stupid quiet. That is going to have to change.

I think I may have lucked out. one of the rear wheels freed up today. But I spent most of the time today prepping the garage for this project. The miata needs to get a new wheel bearing, and then moved to outside storage for the winter before this takes precedent.

but the first step will be new calipers, rotors, and wheel bearings all around.

scubiecraig

Nice find. I notice an Exeter Subaru decal on the back... is that in fact where you picked it up, or was it a private sale? I saw them trying to sell an Outback with half a bumper torn off, and I haven't been back to them since, because I am finding things wrong with my car that should have been addressed when I bought it. Good luck with your build though!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
private sale.

This one was modded when it was bought from Exeter Subaru. They should have reversed the mods before selling it. It has a cold air intake (fender) and a BOV. I am hoping it was properly tuned, but I would guess that it was not. It also has some sort of short shifter and bushing kit.

scubiecraig

When I traded my Mazda3 there, they didn't take the mods off.. it had header, intake, full HKS catback exhaust, etc...

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
OK good news:

Trans is functional! The rear brakes were totally siezed, those are being replaced, along with new rotors. We (Brighton and I) found a few other problems:

1: The front axle nut was way lose and not properly peened.

2: The Air filter was a K&N type and COMPLETELY rusted and clogged

3: Blown HG or clogged DP
angry.gif

So next project is to get the garage cleaned and prepped for the motor to come out.

The AEM long intake will be for sale/trade if anyone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
2: The Air filter was a K&N type and COMPLETELY rusted and clogged

3: Blown HG
default_angry.png

So next project is to get the garage cleaned and prepped for the motor to come out.
Is way too often see add on k and n style filters neglected and ruined. Sucks about the h.g. Leaking external?gas leak into coolant?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
coolant looks good, but there is coolant in the oil. and lots of oil in the exhaust. and the thing won't rev over 5k rpm. so out comes the heart.

Latest posts

Back