Power Steering Issue

Mark

Alright, for awhile now I've had some squealing in my power steering. Mostly it was when turned in a parking lot on startup. In addition to the squealing, the assist would be choppy or sometimes not at all. Just trying to confirm if the pump is in fact dead, or if there's a cheaper answer (Or a more expensive answer...rack?) I check the fluid and it doesn't seem to be getting any lower. One issue I may have run into though is back when I topped off my fluid I used standard PS fluid. Apparently I'm an idiot and was supposed to use IV, or some other company fluid. Wondering if that might have botched things further. So, before I drop 150 bucks on a new pump, anyone got any suggestions?

Also. I'm going to check today for froth in the reservoir after startup/squeal session, I assume it's letting air in the lines but might as well make sure.

Rallytech14

what inski said. when I put my wrx together I missed ONE hose clamp. the hose was on pretty tight but not clamped

and it let enough air in the system to cause problems

goodluck!

WashmyScooby

Alright, for awhile now I've had some squealing in my power steering. Mostly it was when turned in a parking lot on startup. In addition to the squealing, the assist would be choppy or sometimes not at all. Just trying to confirm if the pump is in fact dead, or if there's a cheaper answer (Or a more expensive answer...rack?) I check the fluid and it doesn't seem to be getting any lower. One issue I may have run into though is back when I topped off my fluid I used standard PS fluid. Apparently I'm an idiot and was supposed to use IV, or some other company fluid. Wondering if that might have botched things further. So, before I drop 150 bucks on a new pump, anyone got any suggestions?

Also. I'm going to check today for froth in the reservoir after startup/squeal session, I assume it's letting air in the lines but might as well make sure.

Isn't there a Rhode Islandy Subarus forum you can post this on?

Latest posts

Back