Power Steering issue

Isacco

hey guys, I tried searching and didnt see any results so if this has been covered before im sorry. over the past couple of days I have notced a "whine" coming from my 08 wrx when it starts cold. it quickly goes away until I go to turn the wheels. untill the car warms up every time I turn it whill whine and I can feel the power steering stop working and start again. once the car warms up there is no noise or power steering failure. does anyone have any sugestions of things to check before replacing the pump? and if I do have to replace the pump how difficult of a job is it?

Isacco

Yes I did, it was a little low but not below the minimum level. I will keep an eye on it to see if it is leaking anywhere

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I'll be interested to see what the cause of this is. My mom's '08 outback does the same thing. I checked the belt, it's TIGHT and not worn at all.

It's a lot tighter than I'd set a belt, but yet it still squeaks.

My car does this too.... but that's a totally different story
default_tongue.png

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
when it's really cold, mine whines. does on my sti, and did on my wrx. when it's warm, it goes away. it very well may be the cold we've been having lately.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Not at all unusual for subie PS pumps to complain a bit when first woken up. Only a problem if it don't stop after engine warms to normal operating temp.

inski

Check the o-rings on the plastic elbow inside the top of the pump. Sometimes those go bad. The plastic elbow moves around too much causing air suction and that whining noise. If the elbow is not cracked just replace the o-rings.

katnip

the car is black. I swear
Check the o-rings on the plastic elbow inside the top of the pump. Sometimes those go bad. The plastic elbow moves around too much causing air suction and that whining noise. If the elbow is not cracked just replace the o-rings.
what he said. mine started to turn hard and make noise. found a leak at the elbow, replaced oring. all better.

Matt

All these newer subarus are going to start sounding like old ford pickups when they turn into a lot.......

inski

They already do. It seems they cut every corner there is to cut. Well, except the AC pumps. Those are a work of art.

Latest posts

Back